• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Have you (and to what extent) designed your own RPG?

Have you designed your own RPG? And to what extent?

• Meh, who cares?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Kind of - major houserules to existing RPG's

I've written about 150 pages of stuff for my Fantasy Hero game. Specific rules for my magic system, races, package deals, talents (feats), and other such things.

Most of it is bog standard Hero, but I do have very specific things for each of my magic systems.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I voted "Yes, unpublished" because its closest to the truth, which is "Yes, and its abandoned."

I designed a FRPG back in the mid-1980s, which is as yet unpublished, and it shall remain that way.

Why? Well, as a whole, it wasn't exactly groundbreaking (at least, not anymore). Elements of it show up in games like D20 and HERO...and better. I've tweaked the game to reflect improvements others have come up with, but honestly, even I would rather play HERO or 3.5! They're simply better.

However, the best thing I came up with for it was the magic system. It is unique, AFAIK- I've never seen its like in any of the 100+ RPGs to which I've been exposed- and is simple, appealing, and intuitive.

But despite that, it had a hidden complexity. To keep track of all the variables that arose out of it would require a computer.

Now, a buddy of mine who currently designs computer games wanted to use the system at one point, but as yet, he doesn't have the pull in the industry to initiate his own project.

So it sits, and will continue to.

Last edited:

Hierax

First Post
Kind of - major houserules to existing RPG's

I've written about 150 pages of stuff for my Fantasy Hero game. Specific rules for my magic system, races, package deals, talents (feats), and other such things.

Most of it is bog standard Hero, but I do have very specific things for each of my magic systems.

Heh, you and me both -- heck I think most Fantasy Hero GMs are pretty much game designers, just using a common developers toolkit of the HERO System to build their own game from much like programmers making their own software.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Heh, you and me both -- heck I think most Fantasy Hero GMs are pretty much game designers, just using a common developers toolkit of the HERO System to build their own game from much like programmers making their own software.

Vote me in as another...

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
I picked number two, but...

I selected number two on the poll, but it depends on how you judge "created your own RPG".

I currently have a single (my first) adventure module published: Kaidan - The Gift: Part 1 (available at the RPGNow Store) with two follow up modules on the way to completion.

Basically, I am creating a setting for Pathfinder RPG, but it has some very different rules regarding PC Death, Reincarnation, Spiritual Magic, Multi-classing, Social Caste Restrictions, its own Monsters, different versions of monsters in the Pathfinder Bestiary, a unique Undead mechanic, some new spells, feats, and unarmed combat techniques, a couple of new base classes and prestige classes - which, when I make its Core Rulebook, will be calling it Kaidan RPG. (scheduled for release sometime in early 2010)

But is it really a new RPG? Its definitely a different flavor of Pathfinder, with its own augmented crunch, but not sure whether that qualifies as a "new RPG" I can't say for sure.

I've spent about $725 in commissioned illustrations and cover designs, but that is covering three different modules and a fourth or fifth of the upcoming Kaidan splat book, including cover design (which is complete). So, I'm taking the venture seriously and neck deep in it already. Luckily for me, my products will include bunches of maps, since I am a pro RPG cartographer - which means, where most publishers can only afford a map or two, my adventures feature 10 or more maps per adventure; this makes my products especially unique.

Also to save me a little money, I have some skill in illustration myself (remember I do all the maps.) So something like 1 in 10 illustrations are mine for specific art, that I don't have to pay someone else to do.

Since I have so many "hats to wear": designer, editor, concept writer, primary writer/associative writer, proof-reader, art director, primary project cartographer, and chief marketer (plus website designer) - I can't put in as much of my art, as I don't have time to do that, which is the primary reason I commissioned the art. But I'm still glad I spent the money on commissions, the art so far, is great!

GP

Last edited:

Minicol

Adventurer
Supporter
No.

Though I once developed my own world. back when I was 16 something ...

Shame I lost it all when I moved years ago.

Of course I have dabbled, but nothing ever gets finished.

My first game design was not an RPG. It was a kind of dice game with props.
I was around 8 years or so. The idea was this:
Every player could a model police car (SIKU, Matchbox, something like that) and two dice (d6, I didn't know there were others at the time). On their turn, each player would roll 2d6. Than he would have to move the car while making the typical siren sound, one per point of the result. Who gets to the destination first wins.

The game worked fine when played by me, but I noticed that not every player might make the same sound or move the same speed, and I had to figure out how to compensate ... oh, shiny.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads