Have you been disillusioned? (Best illusion stories!)

Breakstone

First Post
The rise of "Disillusioned" threads has been making me ponder illusions in my campaign. They seem to be a great resource for tricking the players and characters alike!

So tell me- how have illusions been used in your campaigns? What's your funniest, scariest, or most rat-bastardly story about using illusions, either as a player or a DM?

In my friend's campaign just two weeks ago, the party and I were leading a caravan through a Pitch-Black-sort-of-world to a legendary city known as "Thunderbane Mountain." The entire planet we're on goes through nine months of night, in which undead and outsiders swarm the surface. So we're wandering through darkness with this train of desperate wagons behind us, and suddenly we see this beam of light on top of a mountain in the distance. Immediately, we jump to conclusions, telling people, "It's Thunderbane Mountain! Let's keep going! We're almost there!"

The caravan starts moving faster towards this light. We're almost there when the DM says, "Oh, and... make Will saves everyone." Well, everyone rolled spectacularly, and suddenly the light blinked out. It was an illusion. And just ahead, we saw the first wagon vanish into the illusion, falling down a gargantuan pit. The little Admiral Akbar on my shoulder shouted, "It's a TRAP!"

And then the flying, fire-balling wizards attacked.

It was beautiful.

So what are your best Illusion stories?

Remove ads