• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Having a Camp. Sett. Issue...

jayaint

First Post
This is a hard problem for me to explain.

I am not currently in a campaign. But I have had (what I consider to be) a GREAT idea for a (seemingly) unique (?) setting. However: It is based on a VERY recognized WotC CS and the alternate-history proposed-future timeline changes I would want to make would be... drastic, to say the least.

Therefore, I know that no one at WotC would take these ideas anywhere than the circular file, yet the idea doesn't work without the CS's name recognition. And, since WotC won't look at it... I doubt it could never get published... even PDF-style. And I don't even know how much work I could "do" on it without the d20 OGL police looking over my shoulder.

So I feel torn. If anyone out there who is a phenomenal module-builder would like to hear my idea... I would love to just have a little tiny by-line in something that could possibly get .pdf published, if that could happen. I just don't know how far I can take it.

I guess, if I get some directed "go get 'em" feedback, I would like to talk more in private with those people who are interested enough, and explain the idea and see where to go.

Thanks

-jay

BlackMoria

First Post
You have not said what the campaign setting in question is.

If it is one of the no longer supported by WOTC settings (Birthright, DarkSun, Planescape, etc), then your best bet is to contact the various web organization that have taken somewhat official custodianship of the setting in question and pitch your idea to them.

If it is Eberron or Forgotten Realms, you don't have a snowball's chance in hell. Still, you can try pitching the idea to the setting's 'brand' executive. For Forgotten Realms, it is Rich Baker and I have no idea who it is for Eberron. Just don't expect anything to come of it.

If it is an adventure, your best bet is to pitch it to Dungeon magazine. Check the Paizo website for submission guidelines.

Last edited:

jayaint

First Post
BlackMoria...

Thank you so much for your response. The info is good, even if it DOES mean that I don't have a snowball's chance in hell. :uhoh:

Well, I guess I will try a pitch to Mr. Baker, but if anyone is curious I would love some help in fleshing out my idea just for home-game-use of those involved.

please email me at tropsjay@yahoo.com if you are interested in my alternate-future-history Forgotten Realms Campaign idea.

Thanks.

DanMcS

Explorer
jayaint said:
This is a hard problem for me to explain.

I am not currently in a campaign. But I have had (what I consider to be) a GREAT idea for a (seemingly) unique (?) setting. However: It is based on a VERY recognized WotC CS and the alternate-history proposed-future timeline changes I would want to make would be... drastic, to say the least.

Therefore, I know that no one at WotC would take these ideas anywhere than the circular file, yet the idea doesn't work without the CS's name recognition. And, since WotC won't look at it... I doubt it could never get published... even PDF-style. And I don't even know how much work I could "do" on it without the d20 OGL police looking over my shoulder. -jay

You don't have to publish it under the OGL. You don't have to publish it at all, really. There have been many good discussions, on forums, email lists, and usenet, about "what if the FR was advanced to modern times" or "what if Azrai had conquored Cerilia and all of Birthright was run by the Abominations".

If you have good ideas, lay them out there. I would find a good setting discussion better than yet another campaign setting product anyway. In a discussion, you can screw with the timeline all you want, put up stats for anything you feel like statting out, whatever. If it ends up being good, archive the good stuff on a website and link it in your signature.

Remove ads