D&D 5E Having a Wyvern as a mount

Hayato

Explorer
What should I need to have a Wyvern as a mount? Mounted Combatant is a must have, but Animal Handling is really necessary? Can I use Persuation, like using on a Pegasus, to calm and trainning them?

Satyrn

First Post
I wouldn't call Mounted Combatant a must have. It would be nice to have but you certainly don't need it.

I would say the skills are more important, because you need to train the thing and keep it under control, but how necessary this is depends on how your DM sees things. I think Animal Handling would apply for getting it do most things - its just a draconic beast essentially, but I could see using Intimidation and Persuasion on it instead if you or your DM considered it more than just a beast.

Al2O3

Explorer
If I was the DM there probably would be no difference in what you need for different flying mounts.

An exotic saddle would be needed. Animal handling would probably be as common as for horses if the mount is trained or willing, but sometimes with higher stakes (or rather altitude). Easier saves against being dismounted would also be nice due to altitude.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using EN World mobile app

Finding someone who is selling mount-trained wyverns and being able to afford their prices would be the first step. Expect a 4-or-5-figure sum: you're paying for 5-10 years of skilled work and hazard pay.

They have no languages known, and appear to be just exceptionally cunning animals, so Handle Animal would probably be needed rather than actually being able to use normal social skills.

Shiroiken

Legend
What should I need to have a Wyvern as a mount?

A trained/tame wyvern
A special saddle designed for aerial combat (specifically a harness to keep you from falling)
A good supply of food for the wyvern (unless you want to risk it going off while hunting)
DM's permission

Mounted Combatant is a must have, but Animal Handling is really necessary? Can I use Persuation, like using on a Pegasus, to calm and trainning them?
Mounted Combat, while useful, isn't actually necessary. Generally Persuasion and Deceit only work on intelligent creatures so Animal Handling is probably more appropriate, depending on the INT of Wyverns (ask your DM, since they are the final arbiter).

Remove ads