• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Heart of the Abyss

Wishbone

Paladin Radmaster
I believe the Shard of Evil originated from the universe that the Obyriths destroyed and it was there intent for Tharizdun to find it so they can do the same to the setting universe.

Demonomicon says it was Pazuzu's idea to make the shard and lure Tharizdun to find it, which allowed the obyrith to escape their dying universe in an attempt to rule the World Axis cosmology. It says the obyrith wanted to reshape the universe to their whims by having Tharizdun place the shard in the Astral Sea, not destroy it (at least in this passage).

The obyriths done goofed though because Tharizdun, though driven mad by the shard, knew better than to put it in the Astral Sea and placed the shard in the Elemental Chaos instead which created the Abyss and the first demons before pulling the obyrith through. An empowered Tharizdun fought with the obyrith and utterly wrecked face so that only 12 obyrith survived (I assume meaning named obyriths since sibriex were still a thing?).

Last edited:

Tyler Dunn

Explorer
Okay so here's what I have so far
The Heart of the Abyss was a is a piece of the Shard of pure Evil that Tharzidun used to create the abyss, broken off by a powerful and evil archmage, who altered it so that the immense demonic energy within could be transferred to a living being. Many cults of Demon lords seek it out to this day to make their masters incredibly powerful.
What do you guys think?

dave2008

Legend
The Heart of the Abyss was a is a piece of the Shard of pure Evil that Tharzidun used to create the abyss, broken off by a powerful and evil archmage, who altered it so that the immense demonic energy within could be transferred to a living being. Many cults of Demon lords seek it out to this day to make their masters incredibly powerful.
What do you guys think?
I think that works; however, I think you need to answer, roughly, what happened to it after the wizard made it? I think if you think that through it will lead you to the hooks and clues that you can make for your players.

imeannoharm

Dorkus
I have an idea for a powerful artifact, but I need some help with it

I know what it is. The artifact is a large crystal containing a massive amount of Abyssal energy. If a demon lord were to lay his or her hands on it, they would gain incredible power.

What I need to know is where did it come from. What are its origins?

Any ideas?
You might want to read up on the Heart of Darkness (created demons and baatoriaans in Greyhawk lore) and the Shard of Elemental Evil (created the Abyss) from 4e mythology detailed in the first couple pages of the 4e demonomicon.

imeannoharm

Dorkus
BTW, Greyhawk says the General of Gehenna created the Heart of Darkness.
What do you guys think?
Piecing different editions together the General of Gehenna was one of the first yugoloth and a servant of the obyriths, he created the shard (it could still be Pazuzu's idea). IMO He also made the original demons (before the Tanar'ri) and baatorians (before Asmodeus/Ahriman's fall). I think the primordial that went down the Blood Rift to get the Heart of Darkness / Heart of The Abyss / Share of Elemental Evil that never returned (Garash) is the most powerful "guardian" of the shard, alongside hundreds of thousands of others who likewise died at the shard's hands. If one could attain the whole shard you could destroy overgods such as Ao (who would have no control over a universe not their own such as the obyrith's). That's the seed for an epic campaign right there.

Remove ads