D&D 5E Help find a good alchemist base class not focused on bombs and/or influenced by Dr Jekyll or Frankenstein

Greg K

Legend
Do you want to base it on hermetic esoteric alchemical traditions, and include conjuring and binding spirits and elementals?
No. Would be interesting as a Binder class or subclass
Do you want Thibaults Circle inspired alchemical sword fighters with a deep knowledge of anatomy, body mechanics, and geometry?
All I know of Thibaults Circle is that it was a Renaissance sword style (?) based upon geometry and the circle. So, no
Do you want an advanced poisoner and item-based healer? Maybe with noxious gases, abilities to remove conditions fluffed as being via chemistry and stuff like smelling salts to end a stun?

Or something else entirely?
I guess what I want is something that covers Chinese external alchemy, Latin Alchemy, Indian alchemy, Arabian alchemy and such, but without the religious mysticsm aspects ( or maybe Chinese (internal), Indian mysticsm, and Hellinistic spirit binding which you had mentioned) as some of the available subclasses.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
No. Would be interesting as a Binder class or subclass

All I know of Thibaults Circle is that it was a Renaissance sword style (?) based upon geometry and the circle. So, no

I guess what I want is something that covers Chinese external alchemy, Latin Alchemy, Indian alchemy, Arabian alchemy and such, but without the religious mysticsm aspects ( or maybe Chinese (internal), Indian mysticsm, and Hellinistic spirit binding which you had mentioned) as some of the available subclasses.
Ah okay so basically just the magical chemist in the base class.

I hope you find it, but that definitely isn’t what I find interesting in alchemists, so I have no idea! Some of the classes @Steampunkette postef look rad tho!

Greg K

Legend
Ah okay so basically just the magical chemist in the base class.

I hope you find it, but that definitely isn’t what I find interesting in alchemists, so I have no idea! Some of the classes @Steampunkette postef look rad tho!
I don't know about the magical chemist. I through in Chinese (internal), Hellinistic, and such as subclasses begrudgingly. I more want to see healing (through elixirs, tinctures, etc), blinding powders and flash powders, creating smokey darkess, greek fire, acids, bases, poisons, explosives (just not as a defining class feature and no radiant damage, lightning damage, etc. ). Transumation can be a goal or have a magical subclass that actually achieves it (the same for immortality).

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

I don't know about the magical chemist. I through in Chinese (internal), Hellinistic, and such as subclasses begrudgingly. I more want to see healing (through elixirs, tinctures, etc), blinding powders and flash powders, creating smokey darkess, greek fire, acids, bases, poisons, explosives (just not as a defining class feature and no radiant damage, lightning damage, etc. ). Transumation can be a goal or have a magical subclass that actually achieves it (the same for immortality).
I tend to not strongly tie transmutation to alchemist classes in games, because it wasn’t actually the focus of that many alchemists irl and I find almost the other stuff they did more interesting. Indeed, I tend to think of both wizards and artificers in D&D as Alchemists.

I wanna grok your goal here, and it seems like the space is between magical chemist, bombardier, potion-drinker, and mundane chemist/herbalist, with bits of all those things but with mundane chemistry as the central theme? (Ie, stuff people actually made IRL, even if exaggerated)

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Alchemist

HD: 1d6
Armors proficiency; light armor, shield
Weapons proficiency: simple weapons
Saves Proficiency: Constitution and Intelligence
Tools Proficiency: alchemist tools, and your choice of poisoner kit or herbalist kit
Skills Proficiency: Medicine and pick 2 from: Insight, Investigation, Arcana, Nature or History.

Basic
LevelFeatures
1Hermetic Formula
At 1st level, you learn three Alchemical Formula options of your choice. You learn an additional formula of your choice at 3rd, 9th, 14th, and 17th levels.

To use any of these options, your Alchemist's Satchel must be within reach.

If an Alchemical Formula option requires a saving throw, the DC is 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier.

Experimental Elixir
Beginning at 1st level, whenever you finish a long rest, you can magically produce an experimental elixir of your choice in an empty flask you touch. As an action, a creature can drink the elixir or administer it to an incapacitated creature, which triggers the effects.

Creating an experimental elixir requires you to have alchemist's supplies on your person, and any elixir you create with this feature lasts until it is drunk or until the end of your next long rest.

You can use this feature a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus and you regain all uses when you complete a long rest.

Experimental Elixir
Healing. The drinker regains a number of hit points equal to 2d4 + your Intelligence modifier.
Swiftness. The drinker's walking speed increases by 10 feet for 1 hour.
Resilience. The drinker gains a +1 bonus to AC for 10 minutes.
Boldness. The drinker can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to every attack roll and saving throw they make for the next minute.
Flight. The drinker gains a flying speed of 10 feet for 10 minutes.
Transformation. The drinker's body is transformed as if by the alter self spell. The drinker determines the transformation caused by the spell, the effects of which last for 10 minutes.
2Tool Expertise
Starting at 2nd level, your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses any of the tool proficiencies you gain from this class.
3Archetype feature
4ASI
5Recovering Reagents
Whenever a creature drinks an experimental elixir you created, the creature gains temporary hit points equal to 2d6 + your Intelligence modifier (minimum of 1 temporary hit point).
6Archetype feature
7Improved Recipes
Whenever you use one of your recipes, you gain a bonus to one roll of the effect. That roll must restore hit points or be a damage roll, and the bonus equals your Intelligence modifier (minimum of +1).
8ASI
9Quick Brew (1)
Once per long rest, you can use an Action while holding your alchemist tools to spend one use of your Experimental Elixir.
10Evasion
Beginning at 9th level, you can nimbly dodge out of the way of certain area effects. When you are subjected to an effect that allows you to make a Dexterity saving throw to take only half damage, you instead take no damage if you succeed on the saving throw, and only half damage if you fail.

Advanced
11Sacred Concoctions
You gain revelation of new elixirs. You can spend one of more use of your Experimental Elixirs to brew new potions:
1 use: Climbing, growth
2 uses: Invisibility, mind reading or greater healing
3 uses: Resistance, superior healing, or water breathing
12ASI
13Archetype feature
14Extra ASI
15Alchemical conditioning
You gain resistance to acid damage and poison damage, and you are immune to the poisoned condition.
16ASI
17Quick Brew (2)
18Archetype feature
19ASI
20Cauldron of Wonders
You can spend 1 minute creating an improvised mix of many reagents to regain all spent uses of Experimental Elixirs. Once you regain elixir with this feature, you must finish a long rest before you can do so again.

Recipes
Royal Tears. As an action, you can reach into your Alchemist's Satchel, pull out a vial of acid, and hurl the vial at a creature or object within 30 feet of you (the vial and its contents disappear if you don't hurl the vial by the end of the current turn). The vial shatters on impact. A creature must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or take 1d6 acid damage. An object automatically takes that damage, and the damage is maximized. This formula's damage increases by 1d6 when you reach certain levels in this class: 3rd level (2d6), 5th level (3d6), 7th level (4d6), 9th level (5d6), 11th level (6d6), 13th level (7d6), 15th level (8d6), 17th level (9d6), and 19th level (10d6).

Liquid Pyre. As an action, you can reach into your Alchemist's Satchel, pull out a vial of volatile liquid, and hurl the vial at a creature, object, or surface within 30 feet of you (the vial and its contents disappear if you don't hurl the vial by the end of the current turn). On impact, the vial detonates in a 5-foot radius. Any creature in that area must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or take 1d6 fire damage. This formula's damage increases by 1d6 when you reach certain levels in this class: 4th level (2d6), 7th level (3d6), 10th level (4d6), 13th level (5d6), 16th level (6d6), and 19th level (7d6).

Healing Draught. As an action, you can reach into your Alchemist's Satchel and pull out a vial of healing liquid. A creature can drink it as an action to regain 1d8 hit points. The vial then disappears. Once a creature regains hit points from this alchemical formula, the creature can't do so again until it finishes a long rest. If not used, the vial and its contents disappear after 1 hour. While the vial exists, you can't use this formula. This formula's healing increases by 1d8 when you reach certain levels in this class: 3rd level (2d8), 5th level (3d8), 7th level (4d8), 9th level (5d8), 11th level (6d8), 13th level (7d8), 15th level (8d8), 17th level (9d8), and 19th level (10d8).

Arcanist's Censer. As an action, you can reach into your Alchemist's Satchel and pull out a stick that produces a thick plume of smoke. You can hold on to the stick or throw it to a point up to 30 feet away as part of the action used to produce it. The area in a 10-foot radius around the stick is filled with thick smoke that blocks vision, including darkvision. The stick and smoke persist for 1 minute and then disappear. After using this formula, you can't do so again for 1 minute.

Swift Step Draught. As a bonus action, you can reach into your Alchemist's Satchel and pull out a vial filled with a bubbling, brown liquid. As an action, a creature can drink it. Doing so increases the creature's speed by 20 feet for 1 minute, and the vial disappears. If not used, the vial and its contents disappear after 1 minute. After using this formula, you can't do so again for 1 minute.

Tanglefoot. As an action, you can reach into your Alchemist's Satchel and pull out a bag filled with writhing, sticky black tar and hurl it at a point on the ground within 30 feet of you (the bag and its contents disappear if you don't hurl the bag by the end of the current turn). The bag bursts on impact and covers the ground in a 5-foot radius with sticky goo. That area becomes difficult terrain for 1 minute, and any creature that starts its turn on the ground in that area has its speed halved for that turn. After using this formula, you can't do so again for 1 minute.

Thunderstone. As an action, you can reach into your Alchemist's Satchel and pull out a crystalline shard and hurl it at a creature, object, or surface within 30 feet of you (the shard disappears if you don't hurl it by the end of the current turn). The shard shatters on impact with a blast of concussive energy. Each creature within 10 feet of the point of impact must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or be knocked prone and pushed 10 feet away from that point.

Poor hp, poor AC and limited weapons of proficiency does not mean something is unbalanced.
Sure, the wizard has that - in exchange for having very powerful spellcasting. No one - not WotC, not a 3PP - is going to design a d6 HD class that doesn't get something of similar power to Wizard spellcasting in exchange.

I tend to not strongly tie transmutation to alchemist classes in games, because it wasn’t actually the focus of that many alchemists irl and I find almost the other stuff they did more interesting. Indeed, I tend to think of both wizards and artificers in D&D as Alchemists.
Absolutely. Isaac Newton invented the cat flap.

doctorbadwolf

Absolutely. Isaac Newton invented the cat flap.
I don’t know what that is, but yeah Isaac Newton invented a lot of stuff and advanced other stuff, Paracelsus invented toxicology, alchemists invented optics, several tools still used in modern chemistry, and a bunch of other stuff.

Alchemy is a lot more than trying to turn lead into gold and invent an immortality elixir.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases