D&D 5E Help me brainstorm a kingdom ruled by a golem

I've had an image in my head for a while of an Iron Golem sitting on a throne.

What could be fun and interesting about a kingdom ruled by a Golem? What would be some fun adventuring hooks? How would the towns, the politics, the economy be different?

Here's what I've go so far:

Centuries ago, the ruling family (King and Queen Morovahn and their adult children) went off to a distant realm for some act of politics or war. They left behind their loyal Iron Golem, guardian of the family bloodline, to guard the throne until their return. They never returned.

For hundreds of years now, the Iron Golem known as Heartless has been sitting on the throne.

And that's about all the solid ideas I have. But here are some loose thoughts:

A kingdom ruled by a golem may instead be ruled by its advisors. I could see petty squabbling among the golem's advisors, maybe even leading to war between the various towns of the kingdom?

Maybe the golem has developed a personality over the centuries, based on its observations of court politics? I like the idea of a huge iron golem caring very much about what the latest style of hat is.

Or what if the golem does have its own priorities, choosing to elevate other animated objects to seats of power? Shield Guardian barons, constructs running mines where peasants work to provide coal and other fuel...

So what do you think would be the most fun for adventurers? What other ideas do you have for a kingdom ruled by a golem?

I quite like this idea. I love golems. You might want to mine Van Richter's Guide to the Created for ideas.

You could kind of go the Dalek route with him and make him into a pretty terrifying antagonist. Also maybe this is exists elsewhere. You could have different kinds of golems governing and in position of esteem or power (a flesh golem made from the great kings of a kingdom's past for example).

Remove ads