Help me build an Eberron utility character

Gaiden

Explorer
I am building an NPC for an Eberron campaign whom will guide the PC's into the Mournlands to recover an item from undead. He is not associated with any religion of any kind (so clerics, paladins, and the like are out). I picture him alot like Joe Sarno from Way of the Gun (James Caan's character). He is a bit older than middle aged, so he's a little slower than he used to be. He has a lot of experience (figuratively, not literally, although he'll be 11th level) and uses his wits to overcome obstacles. He is highly conservative in taking personal risks thus would naturally favor missile combat over melee and naturally prefer to avoid confrontations in the first place rather than engage a potential foe. I figure he'd focus on knowing his enemies weaknesses to exploit them and in general have a plan to control the actions of his foes before he ever confronts them. So for example, if he knew he'd have to confront a young strong capable warrior, he'd make sure he had that warrior's mother/sister/daughter to use as leverage if it seemed a confrontation was about to occur. I picture him using poison often and pressing every advantage (regardless of the associated morality or immorality). I was thinking a straight rogue would be appropriate, but wanted to run the character concept by the EN Worlders for suggestions. If there is any Eberron specific PrC that would be particularly appropriate for this character concept, I would be very much interested.

The character's general attitude and outlook I think would preclude any sort of focused attack pattern as he'd prefer to adapt to whatever he is facing rather than offering something for his opponent's to exploit in him. Thus, weapon focus, going down a long feat chain (like whirlwind attack), or specializing in a particular style of combat (like archery) is out.

Suggestions?

(Incidentally, pretty much any WotC product goes)

szilard

First Post
I'd consider tossing in a couple of levels of Ranger, from the way you describe him. Go the archery route - it gives him Rapid Shot... which he doesn't have to use with a bow.

Is the NPC human or another race? Any particular country he's from?

-Stuart

Gaiden

Explorer
szilard said:
I'd consider tossing in a couple of levels of Ranger, from the way you describe him. Go the archery route - it gives him Rapid Shot... which he doesn't have to use with a bow.

Is the NPC human or another race? Any particular country he's from?

-Stuart

He's human and from Khorvaire (Sharn).

Hedgemage

First Post
I would make him an Expert with maybe a couple levels of rogue and/or ranger to spice things up. Maxed out ranks in survival, spot, listen, hide, and anything else that would make sense for a regular hunter/outdoorsman. Choose a couple of knowledge skills (nature, local, for example) to give him the intelligent 'edge' over his opponents, If you give him an animal companion, how about a hunting dog - not a combat animal, but an aide for tracking and flushing out game animals.

Shazman

Banned
Banned
If he's not above using poison and innocents as hostages, maybe assassain levels would work? Something like ranger 2/rogue 3/extreme explorer 3/assassain 3? Feats would be improved initiaive, quick reconnoiter, self-suffiecient, stealthy, maybe dodge as well. Defintely take rapid shot over two-weapon fighting.

Gaiden

Explorer
After looking at some PrC's I am thinking some combination of Rogue, Ranger, Extreme Explorer, Dungeon Delver, and/or Horizon Walker. Any thoughts on class combinations of those listed?

Gaiden

Explorer
Mr. Big

Rogue 10, Urban Ranger 1, Assassin 1

Feats: improved initiative, telling blow, point blank shot, urban tracking, quick reconnoiter, staggering strike, improved criticial

Class features: sneak attack +6d6, trapfinding, evasion, trap sense +3, disruptive attack (substituted for uncanny dodge at 4th level rogue), favored enemy +2, uncanny dodge (in place of improved uncanny dodge at 8th level rogue), crippling strike (rogue special ability), death attack, poison use

What favored enemy would you recommend?

Is crippling strike a good special ability for this character?

Any alterations to class structure or feat choice based on what is above?

Remove ads