D&D 5E Help me come up with a property for a magic flail

Painfully

First Post
A wind duke would be easily heard over the din of combat or in the middle of a storm. I would allow the user to enhance the volume of his voice (like thaumaturgy) to be heard to all within 400' very clearly regardless of other noises. It's a minor enough thing mechanically, while still showing that he is definitely in command of the air around him.

I like the idea of a thunderwave-like pushing effect, likely from the wielder's shout. If you want to make it different than the spell, use a saving throw to force enemies prone (or maybe temporarily deafen or stun) instead of inflicting damage.

If you need just pure flavor, perhaps the wind is always favorable towards him within 100'. Don't make any mechanical adjustments for it, just have him notice it. Sailing on a boat, the captain and sailors might make comments about the good wind. On a rainy day, perhaps the rain seems to scatter away enough to be noticeable to those near him. The idea is that people take notice, and perhaps even become suspicious as they try to explain it away.

I really prefer subtle effects like the wind favor, because it shows off that there is more than meets the eye, and leaves witnesses wondering what else might be possible. Even complete strangers can see there is something special about this person, which is something impossible to represent with a magical plus.

aramis erak

Legend
Flail ideas I have used in the past... none powerful, per se, but of some fun additional use.

Flail, shield yanker: +0 to hit, +1d6 force damage to a foe using a shield.

Flail of Shield Negation: +0, +2 versus shield-using foes.

Flail of Grapple: hit target must make Dex Save vs DC= 5+damage or be grappled.

Flail of Faerie Fire: target hit is afflicted with faerie fire (as per the spell) until another target is hit or the wielder takes a rest.

Chocolategravy

First Post
Why would a wind duke, who mostly fly around and beat up demons and chaos, have a weird weapon like a flail? Anyway, how about it does an additional d6 damage when used to smite demons.

MarkB

Legend
Since the heads are shaped like censers, how about having them act like censers? Either of their own accord, or when loaded with holy incense, they dispense a pleasant-smelling smoke that fills an area and confers benefits to allies who inhale it, perhaps replicating the effects of certain party-buffing spells. You could assign a different effect to each head.

meomwt

First Post
Since the heads are shaped like censers, how about having them act like censers? Either of their own accord, or when loaded with holy incense, they dispense a pleasant-smelling smoke that fills an area and confers benefits to allies who inhale it, perhaps replicating the effects of certain party-buffing spells. You could assign a different effect to each head.

Building on this, one censer could replicate the effect of a Fog Cloud spell, becoming a Stinking Cloud at higher levels.

Ideal for obscuring an approach, an escape, or putting off chasing humanoids, I'd suggest.

Why would a wind duke, who mostly fly around and beat up demons and chaos, have a weird weapon like a flail?

Well, its an incense censor as well, so there's that thematic tie. The holes in the flail heads also create a whistling sound. It's about as "air-y" as a melee weapon can get.

Anyway, how about it does an additional d6 damage when used to smite demons.

Sorry, no more direct combat power for him, either offense or defense. Paladins are pretty overpowered as it stands and he has a 20 Str and Cha at 5th level thanks to insane rolling. He's lucky its not a flail -1 that forces you to spend smites before you see if you crit lol.

Last edited:

Thanks for all the replies all. I had forgotten about the quirks table, good call. The weapon will grow with him, and upgrade throughout the campaign, so I'll hold onto some of these for a bit.

I'll probably go with the voice amplification - the Wind Duke who owned it was a troop commander, so letting him be heard for a mile is both thematic and fun. I'll also let him speak Auran, thanks to residual knowledge left in it.

I also like the air purification thing - I think 2nd edition's tome of magic had a spell called zone of sweet air. Though again, that's mostly defensive, and I'm already trying to figure out how to deal with him giving out +5 to magic saves next level (seriously, 5th edition you got rid of massive static bonuses and left THAT in?!). S I'm wary of magic bullets vs problems. I'll have to think on it as a later property.

Again, thanks everyone!

CM

Adventurer
A couple more:

• Mid-levels: Create a dust devil when swung as a bonus action (I believe this spell is in the Elemental Evil Player's Companion
  • High levels: Function as a dancing weapon

Remove ads