• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help Me Decide On What Adventure To Run (Call of Cthulhu)

Which Call of Cthulhu Campaign should I run?

• Beyond the Mountains of Madness

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Masks of Nyarlathotep

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Poll closed .

Yellow Sign

Explorer
After a long long hiatus, I have decided to try my hand on running a Call of Cthulhu game here on EnWorld.

But I am having a hard time deciding on what to run. So help me out. Here are the three campaigns that I am interested in.

Beyond the Mountains of Madness (A epic expedition to Antarctica but what will you find there)
Masks of Nyarlathotep (A Globe spanning race to stop the plans of a Dark God)
Tatters of the King (The influence of Haster grows in a trouble world. Can you keep hold of your sanity?)

Cool. I looked at all three on the Chaosium website. Pros: Hello, Cthulu! Also, Masks of Nyarlathotep and Tatters of the King have a vibrant pulp feel to them. Con: They're massively long, probably too long for PbP.

Beyond the Mountains of Madness is the least appealing to me because it weighs in at 400+ pages and appears to be limited to a cold-weather climate. I would not care to be stuck in one highly specialized environment for a long period of time. Doing so limits character creation in ways that are unappealing (to me).

Masks of Nyarlathotep (248 pp) looks great. I like that it starts out in NYC, the moves to different locales (one of which is Egypt!). I like that it's pulpy. I like that it bills itself as a Cthulu classic; I'm interested in tropes. It would probably be easy to create a character for this module as there are lots of varied and interesting elements to draw upon.

Tatters of the King (236 pp) looks great, too. I love that it contains art-related investigation; I adore anything having to do with art. It might be trickier to draft a character for this module, but I like that I could really gun for magical realism and could probably have a ball playing a curator, doctor, or journalist in this setting. I like that it's set in London. And, just like Masks of Nyarlathotep, I like that it appears to have a pulp feel to it. I particularly like that it purports to mix politics, government, and finance with art. Sounds like a win to me.

I voted for Tatters. But really I think either Tatters or Masks would be great. Not that I'm going to submit a character...just had a few minutes and wanted to chime in.

Yellow Sign

Explorer
Masks indeed has a pulp feel to it. It is considered the granddad of Call of Cthulhu campaigns.

Tatters is more of a psychological horror mystery. More in line with a classic Call of Cthulhu type game.

All three are great in their own ways.

Remove ads