Help me design a pirate's "logic-themed" treasure map/encounter

Grymar

Explorer
My current campaign is somewhat pirate/naval based and as an ongoing secondary plot the party is tracking down the treasure of a ship full of pirates. They found a map which pointed the way to an island where they recovered the treasure of a lessor officer on a famous pirate ship that pillaged the seas a few hundred years before. In that treasure was a map leading to the treasure of the ship's navigator.

What I'm planning to do is to have them go off every so often on these side quests with the treasure maps, each one pointing the way to the next. I also thought that each different pirate would theme his map or the encounters in some way. The first pirate was focused on religion and the party had to find clues in a sacred text and then plot the location on a map based on certain markers on the island.

This next map is from the ship's navigator, so I was thinking of having it logic based. Maybe something using the stars and constellations, lawful creatures, (formians?) or something else similar.

Things to keep in mind:
- It is an Eberron campaign
- The party is fourth level, probably fifth by the time they get here.
- The party is a ranger, bard, druid, and rogue...they tend to be fast and sneaky, but lack strong arcane magic
- The pirates were famous for having amassed incredible amounts of treasure and magic, so the navigator had a good bit of resources to throw at this.
- I'd like for it to be 4-5 encounters, whether in a dungeon, cave, or outdoors.

Any help you give would be greatly appreciated!

apologies, but not clear on what you are seeking here. it sounds like you have thought most of it out. what are you missing?

are you wanting specs on a treasure itself? the guardian? enemy crew? something else?

sounds intriguing, but not sure what you need.

Grymar

Explorer
Ah, sorry if I wasn't clear.

What I'm looking for is this...what is a good hook or site? I'm having trouble coming up with an interesting slant. Should it be all traps? Should it be logic puzzles? Does the whole thing sound lame and I should start with a fresh idea?

Is there a better angle for a ship's navigator that anyone can think of?

I just have a cool concept (themed maps, all from the same pirate crew) but am having trouble fleshing this one out.

Thanks!

Remove ads