D&D 5E Help me flesh out this drow bard for an underdark campaign

Hi all, here's the situation-
After months of hinting at Out of the Abyss, the DM instead decided to run an all-drow campaign. The story as we know it is thus: We were part of a minor house in Menzoberranzan. It fell out of favor with Lolth and was mostly wiped out. We were the part of the house deemed loyal enough to be spared. We have one year of protection (from war of annihilation, not universal), after which we will have had to have made enough allies or shown ourselves useful enough not to be wiped out. We will have to socialize, convince the other houses to use our services, do espionage, do all the sorts of stuff one does in an urban campaign. But then also go adventuring some in the underdark to actually accomplish those things we arrange to do for other houses. So social and skullduggery talents can't be neglected, but we can't be total pushovers in fights either.

The party is going to consist of:
female Drow Cleric (Lolth-trickery) 4, Acolyte background.
female Drow Barbarian (not sure what type, probably a re-skinned :smallbiggrin: bear) 3, noble background(maybe?)
female Drow Monk (either shadow or long death from SCAG) 3, noble background
And me, a male Drow Bard (to be determined) 3, charlatan background.
We will also have some low-power warriors, guards, men-at-arms to adventure with.

A little background on the players: We have played together for one previous campaign, which was the first 5e one for everyone except myself. A lot of the players still play like it was 2nd edition. High level strategic gameplay is a little behind the curve compared to these boards (no one has yet abused GWM or SS, no sorcadins or sorcerer/warlock combos, etc.).

The RP idea for my male bard is if the females in the group are lieutenants of the household, and the guards are enlisted, I am the non-comm. I am suave, charming (but forgettable), and people usually see me as a standard issue noble male having to be half in the court, half actually leading men. Kind of a fopish lesser noble of no concern, so they underestimate me, but I don't look out of place either in court or on the adventure. What else do I do with this RP-wise

My main crunch questions involve whether to pick valor or lore bard, what spells to select, if lore bard, what magic secrets, and what to do with my ASI come level 4.
My (rolled, and modified by race) stats are
Str 10 Dex 20 Con 14 Int 10 Wis 12 Cha 18
Proficiencies: Acrobatics, Deception, Insight, Perception, Sleight of Hand, Stealth, disguise kit, forgery kit
HP: 26, AL: I don't know, probably CE, but maybe up to TN

For Valor vs. Lore it is a hard pick. For Lore, cutting words is clearly useful. The three extra skills (probably Investigation, Persuasion, and thieves' tools) would be okay, but at this level are only +1 compared to Jack of all Trades. The two spells from Magic Secrets at 6 would definitely define the build. Valor is an odd one. I'd usually say it wasn't worth it. Combat Inspiration looks just in general worse than cutting words (boost AC instead of subtract from attacker's to-hit, but it takes both my bonus action to give and my allies' reaction to use). With a 20 Dex, medium armor is unimportant. The shield would be nice, except that pretty much requires war caster, plus you can't use it while using a bow. The extra attack would be very nice though. Here's why: I'm going to assume that, given how much social stuff we'll likely be doing (and how much of the skullduggery crap will fall on my shoulders, what with a monk and barbarian being much of the party), a lot of my spells will be enchantments and such. In the many combat situations where I might not have the right spells, it'd be nice to be able to plunk away with two 1d8+5 attacks instead of one.

For ASI/Feats: War Caster is a natural choice for valor. +2 Charisma of course makes sense (especially for enchantments, which are usually save based, and often 1/rnd when used in combat). Inspiring Leader is thematically interesting (and helps keep those low-level warriors alive). If I did go Lore, Magic Initiate to grab maybe green-flame blade and a long-range blast cantrip (fire bolt or eldritch blast, depending on whether I chose a sorcerer or warlock 1st level spell) might shore up some combat weakness.

So that's my thoughts as of now. What do people suggest for valor/lore, for ASI, and for spells?

Much thanks!

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Don't dismiss Combat inspiration so easily. It isn't just increasing AC. It can also be used to increase damage.

But it sounds like your playstyle is rather to hang back, and Valor is mote designed to get into the thick (better armor, shield), so Lore may be better. If you grab some attack cantrips, they scale with level, so you'll have essentially extra attack anyway, especially if you go eldritch blast, which can hit multiple targets.

Sent from my SM-G900P using EN World mobile app

Personally I'm not always a hang-back kind of player, so it would be a challenge. However, the party has two front(-ish) liners (with the monk), as well as the cleric, whom I'm guessing will do some front-linish things. That makes me one of the 'mages' if you will.

The thing is that we're starting at 3rd. Who knows if this character will make it to 11 or whatever you consider upper levels? Thus I should worry about now. 1d8+5 with a +1 high chance to hit with a light xbow is not that far from the 2d10 fire bolt or eldritch blast would get me through that period. So even there, I might just stick with Vicious mockery (and crossbow and a pair of short swords if cornered) and do war caster, inspiring leader, or +2 cha.

I get that lore bards are mostly spellcasters. It's just that with 6 non-at-wills (current spell slots to cast between long rests), and a selection of spells I'll have to divide between combat and infiltration/enchantment, there could be a lot of rounds of combat where I'm sitting there plinking with my xbow while the barbarian and monk are kicking ass and taking names.

It's a challenge. One I'm hoping others have experience with and advice for. Thanks!

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
You will need something other than that crossbow if you want to do Extra Attack. Unless you have Crossbow Expert you can't make multiple attacks a turn with it.

I might do that +2 Cha. Landing that Disadvantage with Vicious Mockery will make your front line happy.

You will need something other than that crossbow if you want to do Extra Attack. Unless you have Crossbow Expert you can't make multiple attacks a turn with it.

If I have extra attack, it is because I choose valor bard, and thus have longbow proficiency. Kinda breaks theme a bit, but given that there seems to be no value to hand crossbows without crossbow expert, I think I could overlook it.

I might do that +2 Cha. Landing that Disadvantage with Vicious Mockery will make your front line happy.

I've always questioned that. Does it work as well as it sounds, in play. Obviously if you have 1-2 big-bad enemies, giving one disadvantage on its' next super-wallop is great. OTOH, if you're up against 6-8 orcs, each one of which is relatively weak, then exchanging your action for 50% miss (or thereabouts) on theirs is unimpressive. How does it play out in play?

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Are you allowed to take material from Unearthed Arcanas? A drow bard with either the College of Sword (UA Kits of Old) or College of Whispers (UA Bard archetypes) could fit the theme pretty well. The college of sword gives you the flashy weapon display of drow fighting style of Melee-Magthere and college of whisper lets you use your ennemy's greatest secret/fear to remove it from combat.

As a side note, I like the idea of the refluffed totem barbarian for a drow.
Bear: a bulette or umber hulk
Wolf: Quaggoth
Eagle: giant bat
Tiger: Sword spider
Elk: Deep rothé

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
An orc still hits pretty hard at low levels, so it still might save your front line a round or two, which is a huge deal in 5e. And you are still doing as much damage as a dagger. But if you're worried about minions, then just save the mockery for big guys. Remember, +2 Cha doesn't only land VM, but also your enchantments and your hold person, etc. Monster saves don't scale that well.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Since you do not start at level 1, and even if I dislike multi-class, I might suggest Fighter 1/Lore bard X. You'd get CON proficiency, armor and weapons, 1 Fighting style to compensate for the Lore bard lack of defense/offense feature. As a first ASI, I like your idea of green-flame blade as magical initiate, I read somewhere it mostly follows the damage output of 1 Extra attack as long as there is another creature nearby.

I like both Valor and Lore, so it all depends on what you’ll have more fun doing. I'll agree that the extra armor proficiencies won't get you as far with a dex-based character, but combat inspiration has been super-useful in my experience. Still, all things considered, I'd probably lean towards the Lore direction as a recommendation. As far as feats go, I say hit the ability score increase to max out your charisma. After that, if you go Lore, I'd really focus on that INT stat.

I'd also recommend taking a look at Dragon magazine #298. It's got a lot of cultural details on the drow, and specifically talks about drow bards.

Remove ads