Help me list spells that make skills irrelevant.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
First post updated, Thanks @green slime , I was able to find even more applications for the various flight related spells and a Gaseous Form.

I'm starting to believe that an Archivist, based around Divine Insight & Wieldskill and many other of these spells, would become the kind of skillmonkey that would make a Rogue weep. Especially if the Archivist invested all his skillpoints into Knowledge for class features, and used spells for everything else.

Dark Knowledge + Maxed ranks skillpoints, + Divine Insight & Wieldskill. Good Times.

Keep them coming!

Last edited:

Dozen

First Post
I've done a throughout search on D&DTools for spells that mention skills and handpicked those which qualify and not yet listed here. At least, I was doing that until I grew bored. I hope all of them are to your liking!:)

Balance: Balancing Lorecall(use Balance in place of Climb), Ice Skate(Balance on ice), Rooftop Strider(run and charge on slopes), Surefoot, Sea Legs(succeed on checks automatically), Walk the Mountain's Path(not slowed by slopes)
Bluff: Insightful Feint(to feint in combat), Mimicry(to replicate other's voice),
Climb: Easy Climb(roughens surface) Walk the Mountain's Path(climb speed)
Disguise: Beastmask(animals see you as animals), Consume Likeness(evil only, drains own wisdom), Crawling Darkness(hide features), Crown of Veils, Deceptive Facade, Shroud of Undeath(disguise as undead), Seeming, Veil
Intimidate: Divine Presence, Towering Oak, Voice of the Dragon

Jimlock

Adventurer
Fly, Overland Flight, air walk and wind walk also can nullify the need for Move Silently, Ride, and Climb, not just balance.

I don't see how these nullify Move Silently, but perhaps you can elaborate.

If you suggest, that when a character hovers a few feet above the dungeon floor, he does not need to roll for Move Silently, you are clearly house ruling.

green slime

First Post

If you suggest, that when a character hovers a few feet above the dungeon floor, he does not need to roll for Move Silently, you are clearly house ruling.

Really? If "he" is otherwise naked? If the gravel on the dungeon floor was what necessitated the roll for Moving Silently? Or do you need Move Silently to avoid sneezing at inopportune moments? I would have thought some form of adjudication was what the DM was for: when the circumstances require a Move Silently, and when they do not. But, whatever floats your boat.

As to "clearly house ruling"; care to elaborate? You lept from seeking clarification to "accusations" of house ruling in two sentences.

Really? If "he" is otherwise naked? If the gravel on the dungeon floor was what necessitated the roll for Moving Silently? Or do you need Move Silently to avoid sneezing at inopportune moments? I would have thought some form of adjudication was what the DM was for: when the circumstances require a Move Silently, and when they do not. But, whatever floats your boat.

As to "clearly house ruling"; care to elaborate? You lept from seeking clarification to "accusations" of house ruling in two sentences.

I think a circumstance modifier is the way to go here, if a character states he/she is attempting to move silently while flying naked.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer

I think I get what you're saying. Surely you won't be making the noise of stepping upon the ground, but you're still moving air, your clothing would billow, bags could still jingle, etc.
If the forest floor has autumn leaves, then you'll definitely have a reduced amount of noise. If you're hovering down a dungeon hall, they might still be able to hear you coming.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases