ZEITGEIST Help me make a witchoil dragon

Echolocation

Explorer
My players are coming to the end of book 5. Whilst chasing Borne, the players will be assailed by witchoil monstrosities warped by a fear-hungry fey nemesis tailing the party. Eventually, she will make herself known and shield herself in witchoil. The witchoil will be warped to Harkover's worst fear—his old tyrannical self—and attack the party. The fey (an enchanter/illusionist) will use all of her remaining magical reserve to manipulate the witchoil, and by the time her draconic shield is destroyed, she will be unable to defend herself.

I'd like to make this witchoil dragon the final boss for this chapter. I'm a rookie when it comes to making my own creatures. There are some simple solutions that involve re-skinning a regular dragon, but I would like something unique. I run my games in Pathfinder 1E. I'm thinking about having two HP thresholds (similar to the witchoil golem of book 2), where the dragon increasingly loses its form and gains/loses unique abilities accordingly.

So, my question is, any fun ideas?

arkwright

Explorer
Would it be worth reskinning the witchoil dragon construct used in Book 9? You could maybe combine it with Gradiax's daughter from Book 6, who is herself part-construct.

Echolocation

Explorer
Thanks Arkwright. I ended up taking a creature from the Occult Bestiary and adding/removing abilities as I saw fit. I'm a bit worried it's not exciting enough for a final boss, but hey, we'll see. This is the result so far:
Arianrhod, The Witchoil Wyvern CR 10
XP
CE Huge Ooze
Init +10; Senses darkvision 120 ft., tremorsense 30 ft.; Perception +20
Aura madness (30 ft.)
Defense
AC
23, touch 15, flat-footed 16 (+6 Dex, +1 dodge, +8 natural, –2 size)
hp 142 (15d8+75); fast healing 5
Fort +12, Ref +11, Will +13; +4 vs. psychic spells
DR 10/slashing and magic; Immune mind-affecting effects, negative energy damage, poison, ooze traits; SR 21
Weaknesses Vulnerable to positive energy, With form comes faults
Offense
Speed
30 ft.
Melee 2 claws +15 (1d8+6), tail slap+10 (1d8+3), bite +15 (2d6+6 plus poison)
Space 15 ft., Reach 15 ft.
Special Attacks confusion command
Psychic Magic (CL 15th; concentration +19)
12 PE—anticipate thoughts (2 PE, DC 16), detect thoughts (2 PE, DC 16), mental barrier IV (5 PE), mind fog (5 PE, DC 19), psychic crush I (5 PE, DC 19), suggestion (2 PE, DC 17)
Statistics
Str
23, Dex 22, Con 21, Int 15, Wis 18, Cha 19
Base Atk +11; CMB +19; CMD 36 (can’t be tripped)
Feats Combat Casting, Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Great Fortitude, Improved Initiative, Intimidating Prowess, Power Attack
Skills Bluff +13, Intimidate +25, Knowledge (nature) +16, Perception +20, Sense Motive +19, Stealth +16, Use Magic Device +19
Languages Primordial, Sylvan; telepathy 100 ft.
SQ Within the Witchoil, Feast on Flesh Fables
Special Abilities
Within the Witchoil (Ex)
Whilst Arianrhod, The Witchoil Wyvern exists Arianrhod has full concealment and is invulnerable to all effects (including area of effect damage). If the Arianrhod, The Witchoil Wyvern is defeated, Arianrhod persists flying 40 feet above The Coaltongue. Her flight can be ceased by Angharad sincerely denouncing her. If she makes contact with The Coaltongue, Arianrhod will slowly shrivel as her fey flesh burns in response to the rigid metal.

With Form Comes Faults (Ex)
Unlike most oozes, Arianrhod, The Witchoil Wyvern is not immune to critical hits, flanking, or precision damage.

Aura of Madness (Su) Any sane being within 30 feet of a conscious Arianrhod, The Witchoil Wyvern must succeed at a DC 21 Will save each round or become confused for 1 round. A creature that fails five saves in a row becomes permanently insane so long as Arianrhod is alive, as the insanity spell. Arianrhod, The Witchoil Wyvern can suppress or activate this aura as a free action. This is a mind-affecting effect. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Confusion Command (Su) As an immediate action, Arianrhod, The Witchoil Wyvern can issue a telepathic command to a confused creature within 30 feet. This allows Arianrhod, The Witchoil Wyvern to pick a result from the confusion behavior table, rather than the confused creature rolling randomly for its actions that round.

Poison (Ex) Bite—injury; save Fort DC 22; frequency 1/round for 6 rounds; effect 1d2 Wis damage and deafness; cure 2 consecutive saves. Deafness persists as long as the ability damage caused by the poison lasts. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Breath Weapon (Su) Once every 1d4 rounds, Arianrhod, The Witchoil Wyvern can gurgle the oil within her throat to release the screams of a thousand souls in a 30-foot cone that deals 6d6 points of negative energy damage. A DC 22 Reflex save halves the damage. The save DC is Consitution-based.

Feast on Flesh Fables (Ex) Cipiths are said to record their formative years in their flesh, like the rings of a tree trunk. Arianrhod would like to see Angharad's body unravelled, with his story forever lost. When Angharad makes a fortitude saving throw against an effect or spell from Arianrhod, The Witchoil Wyvern, he takes a penalty equal to his constitution modifier.

Health Thresholds (Ex) The abilities of Arianrhod, The Witchoil Wyvern change according to her remaining health. Once a health threshold is reached, fast healing cannot heal Arianrhod, The Witchoil Wyvern to the previous threshold.
Threshold I (95-142 HP): No special abilities
Threshold II (48-94 HP): Arianrhod, The Witchoil Wyvern struggles to maintain her form as her teeth and claws dissolve. Every square adjacent to Arianrhod when she reaches Threshold II becomes covered in witchoil (creatures takes 1d6 negative energy damage when moving through a square with witchoil or end their turn in a square with witchoil). When Arianrhod moves, she leaves behind a trail of witchoil. Arianrhod can no longer make claw attacks and her bite attacks no longer release poison. Arianrhod’s land speed increases by 10 feet. Her natural armour bonus is reduced by 1.
Threshold III (0-47 HP): Arianrhod, The Witchoil Wyvern becomes increasingly featureless as more of her witchoil form is shed. Every square adjacent to Arianrhod when she reaches Threshold III becomes covered in witchoil (creatures takes 1d6 negative energy damage when moving through a square with witchoil or end their turn in a square with witchoil). The changes in her abilities from Threshold II are maintained, though her penalty to her natural armor bonus is increased to 2. In addition, her Aura of Madness now bestows the shaken condition as well as confusion as The Witchoil Wyvern bulges with images from her combatants worst fears. Arianrhod gains constrict (2d6+6). Additionally, as a move action, Arianrhod can roll to fling witchoil in every square within 10 feet of her (this provokes attacks of opportunity).

Remove ads