D&D 5E Help me with ways to generate income

Degwerks

First Post
AFB right now but my warlock has the Charlatan background, so I have disguise/forgery kits. Are there things that can be made with these that can be sold?

Fimbria

First Post
He can't. He's the highest authority around. The moment he signs a piece of paper, it becomes legal currency. He can't forge anything in his own country.

However, he could go to the next kingdom and forge documents there. He could buy from traveling merchants with false contracts. When the other kingdom refuses to honor those contracts, he expresses his deepest sympathies and suggests they take their wares to his country, where the businessmen are more honest.

Degwerks

First Post
Hmm, forging money could work, I've done this in another campaign with melting lead and covering it with gold to basically double the amount of gold coins I had. Starts off pretty slow but gains traction later once you've got a pretty good mold of the coin going.

Now forging official documents would work and I could get access to a lot of the stuff needed to get the documents from my kingdom itself. Spells like Disguise Self, Seeming, Dominate Person, and Invisibility will help get some of the things I need and get others blamed for it as well.

The more I think about this stuff the more I want my Warlock, who is holding the Spymaster position, to become like Tony Soprano and the Gestapo all rolled into one.

I think I'm going to need a steady supply of cash or lucrative job positions that I can offer "like minded" people to get my organization rolling.
I might just forge me some "Bills of Sale" and make some people disappear and "file" the paperwork with the city and become a new owner of some things. Will have to research what's available in the city/kingdom.

UnlimitedPowers

First Post
Charlatan, eh?
Start a church. Tithe heavily, highly encourage extra donations, convert the flock.
As a bonus, open a confessional service to gain juicy information and become an information broker and/or extortionist.
Just don't cross the wrong god.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
The bank ideas are good. An 8th level warlock could pull off some related hoaxes, although a rogue might do a better job. Alternatively...

Get a scroll of Contagion. Fill 1,000 vials with water. Cast the spell on one person. Sell the vials with a label appropriate to your contagion. The marketing possibilities here are about endless and completely fictional.

The obvious business that comes to mind is casting spells for money. Warlocks can take a short rest and regain spell slots, which adds up on a working day. As a DM, I'd say it is realistic that you have 8 working sessions interrupted by 7 short rests, since you can find rest in your own home. That means you can cast up to 8x 2 = 16 level 4 spells on a day.

The not-so-peaceful way: You can use that to enforce the "protection money" that people around town owe you, and levy some taxes. It's probably beneath you to collect the actual protection money but you could at least visit those who did not pay.

You can also take a more peaceful route and cast beneficial spells to help locals. The key question is what is the market for the peaceful Warlock spells, and if you know any of those. But some would definitely be of value:
  • Galder's speedy courier
  • Tongues
  • Dimension Door (situation specific)
  • Remove curse
  • Fly

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Set up a mining camp, one that contains not only the mine itself, but also all of the facilities necessary for the miners to live, i.e. boarding houses, mess halls, recreational areas, etc.

Of course, you still charge your workers for all of these; it costs rent for them to sleep in the boarding houses, money for each meal, etc. But you don't make them fork over coin for each, instead simply taking the costs out of whatever you're paying them.

The key point here is that these amenities collectively add up to more than each worker's individual salary. So they're actually earning negative pay, placing them in debt to you. If they make seven silver pieces for each day of work, have it cost a gold piece for them to eat, sleep, and entertain themselves during that same period.

Just like that, you have indentured servants whom you don't need to pay (other than actually supplying them with meals and maintaining the facilities) while you cash in whatever it is you're having them mine. If they complain, have the local magistrate throw them in debtor's prison.

Of course, this might result in your alignment changing to Lawful Evil, but that's part of the cost of doing business. ;)

Remove ads