D&D 5E Help selecting some adventures for noobs

ElterAgo

Explorer
Me again.

I've got several people who are interested in being introduced to 5E. Most have no rpg experience at all.
Does someone have some suggestions on some easy modules adventures for beginners. Probably just like levels 1-3 to get their toes wet for starters.

I think this group would enjoy some more investigation / social interaction rather than just murder-hobo.
Thinking more like Star Trek Away Team adventures (or maybe Scooby Doo) rather than Seal Team Six mission.

It would be most helpful if it was already something available to purchase on Roll20. That way I don't have to make all the maps, NPC character sheets, and stuff.

Merifluous

Explorer
I ran Dragon of Icespire Keep for a totally new group online when the pandemic started. Its pretty beginner friendly, though I ended up writing a guide to it to make super easy for new DMs and put it on dms guild. its pay what you want. With my guide, I think it is super easy for a new DM. Its a very straight forward fantasy adventure that makes it easier to run. And its fairly easy to tie into some of the other campaigns set in the north.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Yeah Icespire peak is good for simple single missions and Phandelver is good for an ongoing story. Both take place in the same area so you can even mix and match them. These are your best bets.

cole1312

Explorer
Have deep distaste for both those adventures. Icespire for being formatted terribly, and Phandelver is absolutely not beginner friendly. Starting your adventure off with the encounter that seems to have the most TPKs of the edition is... no.

Merifluous

Explorer
Phandelver is both a better story and much harder to run as written. It also has early 5e issues with deadly encounters at low levels. That's why I prefer Icespire peak for new players.

aco175

Legend
I do not play Roll20 so cannot comment on that. I might just grab a free adventure or pay what you want from DMsGuild. There are several there listed as new to the game or more basic. I have made several low-level adventures that include all the monster stats and encounters laid out in the adventure.

You want to get the other people to try the game and maybe some will play more. You do not want to invest a lot into the night if they all lose interest after a hour of play. There might be something in making some of the stuff yourself and showing the others maps and minis and such. Make a few PCs ahead of the night since you may know the players and can make PCs they might like. You can always expand once they return for another night of gaming.

Have deep distaste for both those adventures. Icespire for being formatted terribly, and Phandelver is absolutely not beginner friendly. Starting your adventure off with the encounter that seems to have the most TPKs of the edition is... no.

Luckily, if the DM uses the tactic described in the book, the first encounter is reasonably easy.
It is mostly an experienced DM problem.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases