D&D 5E Help with an Encounter

GreyBeardDM

Explorer
hello

hoping someone out there can help me, I am attempting to flesh out the following

PCs have helped a small village to get back on its feet, they have helped to open up a local quarry. About half a day away the local crime family / bandit types have a quarry and maintain a monopoly on the local supply of stone. So I am looking for ideas to flesh this out....

1. Whilst the PCs are out and about, the other quarry turns up to sell its stone at inflated prices, but finds out that there is a local quarry
  2. Heavies are sent to stop the new quarry, they take the workers ( 2 of them ) hostage and force them to work in their quarry
  3. PCs can then head there and enjoy a parley with these other people and maybe some combat in a quarry

So how can I flesh this out, any help would be appreciated

akr71

Hero
How about the thugs just take over the quarry instead of moving the workers to their quarry. The thugs now operate 2 quarries & maybe start kidnapping villagers and travelers as a source of labour.

The PCs can liberate the quarry (again?) and find plans/maps for the other quarry/hideout where the gang boss is located. And the gang's treasury...

It might also be fun to have an environmental hazard like a rock slide or acid pool.

GreyBeardDM

Explorer
How about the thugs just take over the quarry instead of moving the workers to their quarry. The thugs now operate 2 quarries & maybe start kidnapping villagers and travelers as a source of labour.

The PCs can liberate the quarry (again?) and find plans/maps for the other quarry/hideout where the gang boss is located. And the gang's treasury...

It might also be fun to have an environmental hazard like a rock slide or acid pool.
that sounds really good

aco175

Legend
I would think of having the evil quarry have better stone over the local quarry. This gives them a reason to bring the laborers to their quarry. I would also think the evil group would try to bring the new group into the family so to speak before flexing their muscle. Start small with local threats and slander with maybe some breakage and late shipments due to a fallen tree or something. Things escalate from there if the new group resists the threats. Think of all the movies that start like this. Eventually, you have the PCs show back up and one of the new quarry's bosses' daughter is being held captive for marriage to the crime syndicate's son.

The crime family could also get wise of the fact that the party is helping towns people, and threaten them to not talk to the players anymore.

I feel however that this plot needs bigger stakes and a plot twist. Maybe the thugs need the mine for something special?

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
The crime boss found out there is something hidden away in the new quarry. He thinks it might be a valuable magic item; he cannot use it himself but he could sell / auction it off (he's got the connections). It could be deep down an old tunnel or buried in the spoil pile or under old broken-down machinery.

Terrain ought to be important: steep slopes that can turn into rockslides if crossed, sheer cliffs 10-20 feet high, a pool of odd-color water (mineral contaminants) in one corner, an observation post for supervisors / security watch, the spoil pile can be a big hill, a zigzag path up one side of the pit to move stone slabs to regular 'ground level'. Pictures of IRL quarries should inspire creativity.

P.S. The bandit camp map in Horde of the Dragon Queen could be repurposed as a quarry.

akr71

Hero
The crime family could also get wise of the fact that the party is helping towns people, and threaten them to not talk to the players anymore.

I feel however that this plot needs bigger stakes and a plot twist. Maybe the thugs need the mine for something special?
Maybe the leader of the thugs is actually a warlock/leader of a cult who is trying to free their patron. They believe the patron has been entombed at the quarry site and are excavating to free it.

Remove ads