Help with atmospheric lighting

RoiC.

Explorer
I'm getting a a screen in a wooden case for my table, and I'd decided to maybe throw in some controllable atmospheric lights to boost up the vibes. Trouble is I know nothing about those, so I'd be happy to hear about any advice you can offer. I'm leaning more towards a LED strip that I can put on around the case and can be controlled by my phone or PC, but I'm open for suggestions (mostly for specific models, apps and ideas on how to use them during the game).

RoiC.

Explorer
I have a lot of Hue lights about the house. Alexa controlled (or the Hue app). You can tell them to be any colour or brightness, or pre-set themes.

Well, I've just found their 6 ft. strip option and it looks really nice. Would you mind givint me some examples of specific instances and ways you've used the lights to inspire me a bit?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Well, I've just found their 6 ft. strip option and it looks really nice. Would you mind givint me some examples of specific instances and ways you've used the lights to inspire me a bit?
I don't use them for gaming as when we gamed in person pre-pandemic (over a year ago now!) it wasn't at my place. But I do some fun Halloween ones or Star Trek red alert type things with them.

tommybahama

Adventurer

View attachment 134756

It would be epic to have the lights sync to whatever music you play in the background.

If the party travels at day, keep 'em bright. When the party is travelling at night turn them down to a dark blue light. In Avernus, red or orange of course.

Edit: I don't think the attachment worked, so just look up Philips Hue Sync for more info.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Folks down the street from me used to have a string of Christmas lights that blinked in time with the carols they had playing. Maybe you can set up similar with mood music.

It might be fun to have traveling blinks that move at medium speed for overland travel, slowly when investigating a place, and quickly for a chase / pursuit.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I second the use of hue lights or similar. I'm not a fan of lights or led-panels or strips that blink or pulse in sync with music. I find it distracting. Also, make sure any strobe effects will not cause medical issues for any of your players.

Instead, I would have presets in the lighting app on my phone for different scenarios. You can change the lighting color and dimness depending on the scene, for example.

Remove ads