D&D 5E Help with Background balance

Dannorn

Explorer
If Elvish is the new Common, I wouldn't count it as part of the backgrounds, just grant it. Unless slaver Elves in general don't speak Common.

Yes. Common and the other languages still exist Elves just don't make the effort to learn them, with a few exceptions.

I'm assuming that the PCs are playing non-elves?

The worker tag encompasses about everything. You can break this up a bit. Backgrounds such as cook or scribe has different skills and such. You can also expand pet to include house pet and gladiator pet.

They've expressed interest in playing this as Non-Elves so I'm at least getting started on this, but I am giving them the option of either playing the Elf or Non-Elf side of the campaign. If they choose to play Elves the existing backgrounds and class load outs work fine; might search for or make a slaver background, but other than that everything's fine.

If they choose non-elves things change. They basically get no starting equipment, no money (not that there are going to be many places they can spend it), the world is going to be a lot harder to navigate through, etc.

As for splitting up the Backgrounds I might but for right now I'm trying to keep them broad since I'm struggling with balancing 3 and haven't even started trying to write the Personality Traits, Ideals, Bonds, and Flaws.

Generally background features don't grant direct mechanical benefits like advantage on specific checks.
Yes, they are supposed to give story benefits, not mechanical ones.

Fair point, however given these characters would have no rights, freedoms, or autonomy within society I was having a hard time working out a way to give them appropriate story benefits. I am however open to suggestions if you or anyone else have some.

GlassJaw

Hero
When creating a setting that has some big changes compared to the implied D&D setting, I would focus on describing the new backgrounds and how they fit into the setting rather than the mechanics.

Let the players use the PHB rules for creating custom backgrounds. Then use the existing background features as a starting point and tweak them to fit into the setting.

For example, for your "Worker" background (I like Laborer better), I would use a variation of Folk Hero. For Guard, use Soldier or even Acolyte, depending on the nature of their employment.

Most of the backgrounds basically determine which social class or "etiquette" you have: underworld, artisan/mechant, nobility, temple/religious, commonfolk, etc.

NotAYakk

Legend
Just a sketch, but like this:

Worker

Who really runs things?
: You know the ways that Workers move goods around without the Elves noticing, and how to get ahold of the black market.

Guard

Thin Blue Line
: Guards look out for each other. You can get out of minor infractions, and have a chance of getting a by on even major ones. Just don't get noticed by the elves themselves.

Pet

Ways of the Masters
: You understand elvish taste and what passes for elvish ethics better than most.

Scavenger

Bys and Ways
: You know the routes that aren't guarded, and when you don't know you know how to find them.

Remove ads