Level Up (A5E) Help with Maneuver Rules

Cylock

Explorer
I'm totally confused by the maneuver wording and need help with the interpretation.
For example, in Stunning Assault, the description reads: “When you activate this technique, you take the Attack action and make a weapon attack, as well as any additional attacks granted by Extra Attack”

Does this essentially mean that I'm sacrificing any Extra Attacks to make 1 attack with this maneuver? I think I'm getting hung up on the wording: "...as well as additional attacks granted by Extra Attack" Does this mean, I actually get to use my extra attacks or I am sacrificing my extra attacks?

Also, how does an Dual-Wielding impacted by this maneuver. I assume that because it allows me to take an Attack action, I can still use a bonus action for any off-hand attacks. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It says you make those attacks, not you give up those attacks.

“you take the Attack action and make a weapon attack, as well as any additional attacks”

And yes, you are correct that it doesn’t say anything about losing your bonus action.

Cylock

Explorer
It says you make those attacks, not you give up those attacks.

“you take the Attack action and make a weapon attack, as well as any additional attacks”

And yes, you are correct that it doesn’t say anything about losing your bonus action.

Thanks so much for responding and that makes sense to me - it seems like using this maneuver will allow their full compliment of attacks. How does that description align with the ae5 tools.com section on Techniques:

TECHNIQUES
A technique is activated as part of the Attack action. When you use a technique, you make a weapon attack. When a technique requires more than one attack, using it reduces your total number of attacks on your turn by the number of attacks it requires. For example, when an adventurer that can make 3 attacks each turn uses the Stunning Assault technique (which requires 2 attacks) they make one weapon attack as part of the combat maneuver, and then make an additional weapon attack.

Can you please help me understand how the bolded sentence above applies in this context? This is what I think had me confused and why I initially thought that Stunning Assault required the sacrifice of 2 attacks to make one weapon attack as part of the combat maneuver.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Thanks so much for responding and that makes sense to me - it seems like using this maneuver will allow their full compliment of attacks. How does that description align with the ae5 tools.com section on Techniques:

TECHNIQUES
A technique is activated as part of the Attack action. When you use a technique, you make a weapon attack. When a technique requires more than one attack, using it reduces your total number of attacks on your turn by the number of attacks it requires. For example, when an adventurer that can make 3 attacks each turn uses the Stunning Assault technique (which requires 2 attacks) they make one weapon attack as part of the combat maneuver, and then make an additional weapon attack.

Can you please help me understand how the bolded sentence above applies in this context? This is what I think had me confused and why I initially thought that Stunning Assault required the sacrifice of 2 attacks to make one weapon attack as part of the combat maneuver.
Techniques are not in the final book. That was old material from the playtest. You can safely ignore that. The tools site is still in beta so there will be some discrepancies like that.

Remove ads