• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help! Wizard spellbooks and encounter spells?

Thanee

First Post
Bumamgar said:
I read it as: "Whenever the Wizard gains a new Daily or Utility power, he adds two Daily or Utility powers to his spell book at that level."

I did not read it as: "Whenever the Wizard gains a new Daily or Daily Utility power, he adds two Daily or Daily Utility powers to his spell book at that level."

In otherwords, I don't think it's restricted to only Utility powers that are daily actions. There is a difference between a "Daily Power" and a power that can be used as a "Daily Action".

Am I wrong?

Not entirely sure. It could be either way, though I think it is meant to apply to Daily spells only.

Bye
Thanee

Kordeth

First Post
Thanee said:
Not entirely sure. It could be either way, though I think it is meant to apply to Daily spells only.

Bye
Thanee

Every part of the spellbook class feature descriptions clearly separates "daily" spells from "utility" spells. It's also worth noting that, while attack powers are always called out as "at-will attack," "encounter attack," or "daily attack" powers, utility powers are always just lumped together as "utility powers" (see for example PHB p. 28). The game doesn't distinguish utility powers by their frequency of use--unfortunately, by consequence, it therefore tends to shorthand the attack powers by omitting the word "attack," trusting you to know that "encounter power," for example, means an "encounter attack power."

mattdm

First Post
katahn said:
The only thing with wizard spellbooks I find disappointing is that at certain points you don't just keep adding new spells but rather you replace an old spell with a new one. Basically the poor wizard is somehow compelled to rip out pages holding old spells to make room for new ones.

Think of it this way: a wizard's spellbook isn't a cookbook. It's a deeply personal magical tome. That's why you can't just pick up someone else's spellbook and use it. The lower-level powers fade as they fade from the wizard's mind as it becomes consumed with more powerful magics.

In game terms this happens instantly when you level, but in story terms, it actually happens slowly over the course of time, just as new powers are learned slowly over the course of time and don't suddenly just appear.

Gloombunny

First Post
Bumamgar said:
I read it as: "Whenever the Wizard gains a new Daily or Utility power, he adds two Daily or Utility powers to his spell book at that level."

I did not read it as: "Whenever the Wizard gains a new Daily or Daily Utility power, he adds two Daily or Daily Utility powers to his spell book at that level."

In otherwords, I don't think it's restricted to only Utility powers that are daily actions. There is a difference between a "Daily Power" and a power that can be used as a "Daily Action".

Am I wrong?
You're quite correct. This is turning out to be a common stumbling block in the rules, though.

zoroaster100

First Post
The way I understood it, when you get to a level where you get utility spells, you pick two utilitiy spells of that level of your choice (or three if you have the Expanded Spellbook feat). Each day, you prepare one of those two (or three) utility spells of that level. If you pick a daily utility power of that level for the day, you can use it once that day. If you pick an encounter utility spell for the day, you can use it once per encounter for that entire day.

As for the levels where you get a daily attack power, that is simple because they are all daily.

AntlerDruid

Explorer
If a character multiclasses with a wizard, does he have to have a spell book if he uses the multiclass feats to gain a Daily or Utility spell from the Wizard list?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads