D&D 3E/3.5 Helping Boz with CC 3.5: Converting Dragons.

Krishnath

First Post
Wow, only 10 downloads of the steel so far...

Anyways, on to the next dragon, the Orange!

This is the jungle dwelling dragon with a napalm breathweapon that first made it's appearance in Dragon #65.

First things first, as you can see, most of the stuff was quite easy to transfer to 3.5, but we need (in order), a subtype (I suggest we go with earth, but if you have another idea please share it.), a breathweapon (I suggest a line of acidic fire, that deals both fire and acid damage), and immunities for starters.

Any suggestions and opinions would be helpful.

Attachments

• Dragon, Orange (conv).doc
    58.5 KB · Views: 132

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Actually, since napalm is just fire that sticks, I'd suggest you give it a breath weapon that sticks, ala the Styx dragon from Draconomicon. The breath weapon would deal 1d6 fire damage per age category, but it would deal half that amount the next round and one quarter that amount the next. I'd suggest giving it the Fire subtype. Immunities should be fire, probably.

Demiurge out.

Krishnath

First Post
I actually want to give it a sticking breathweapon anyway, I just thought I'd bring it up a little later... :D

Additionally for the breathweapon, I thought about giving it 2d6 per age category, but making half the damage fire and the other half acid, as napalm has some acidic qualities. Does this sound like a good idea, or should I stick with pure fire?

Also, if we give the dragon the fire subtype, you should be aware that it will become vulnerable to cold (taking 50% more damage from cold sources).

And the dragon should definetly be immune to fire, maybe give it a bonus on saves against poisons also?

What do you think?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Krishnath said:
Additionally for the breathweapon, I thought about giving it 2d6 per age category, but making half the damage fire and the other half acid, as napalm has some acidic qualities. Does this sound like a good idea, or should I stick with pure fire?

It sounds like a great idea. :cool: It reminds me of the pyroclastic dragon, one of my favorite encounters to date.

Krishnath said:
Also, if we give the dragon the fire subtype, you should be aware that it will become vulnerable to cold (taking 50% more damage from cold sources).

That is fine. It doesn't seem to bother red dragons too much. ;)

Krishnath said:
And the dragon should definetly be immune to fire, maybe give it a bonus on saves against poisons also?

And/or acid resistance (if its breath weapon is doing half acid)?

Krishnath

First Post
Well, this is going pretty fast now.

Next thing we need to discuss for the orange dragon is wether or not it should be able to cast spells from the cleric list as arcane spells?

If we choose to have it be able to cast spells from the cleric list, which three domains should we choose?

And what three additional skills should it have on it's skill list?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Krishnath said:
Next thing we need to discuss for the orange dragon is wether or not it should be able to cast spells from the cleric list as arcane spells?

If we choose to have it be able to cast spells from the cleric list, which three domains should we choose?

My gut reaction says "no". It looks like only a handful of dragons have this ability (the top two chromatics and most of the Faerunian dragons). But it wouldn't hurt anything if it did.

Krishnath said:
And what three additional skills should it have on it's skill list?

It's hard to guess without seeing the original flavor text. ;)

Krishnath

First Post
Actually, all the metallic dragons also cast spells from the cleric list and from three domains, as far as I can see, the only official spellcasting dragons that don't are the black, green, and white chromatics.

As for the original flavor text, the orange dragons where described in dragon #65 as stealthy predators that dwell near rivers and streams and in marshy terrain. I can't find the other dragon article at the moment, but as far as I recall, the only real difference was that they where described as sadistic (which most evil dragons where at the time), and that their native enviroment was changed to rivers and lakes in rainforests. Which is why I gave them an enviroment entry of warm forest and marsh.

Which brings me to another point, should it have water-breathing as the black and green dragons?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Krishnath said:
Actually, all the metallic dragons also cast spells from the cleric list and from three domains, as far as I can see, the only official spellcasting dragons that don't are the black, green, and white chromatics.

Good point. I was just focusing on the evil dragons, but in the grand scheme of things perhaps they should have it.

This raises another question...are these dragons considered chromatic dragons? Or do they just happen to be named after a color?

Krishnath said:
As for the original flavor text, the orange dragons where described in dragon #65 as stealthy predators that dwell near rivers and streams and in marshy terrain. I can't find the other dragon article at the moment, but as far as I recall, the only real difference was that they where described as sadistic (which most evil dragons where at the time), and that their native enviroment was changed to rivers and lakes in rainforests. Which is why I gave them an enviroment entry of warm forest and marsh.

Based on this text, its additional skills could be Hide, Move Silently, and Swim.

Krishnath said:
Which brings me to another point, should it have water-breathing as the black and green dragons?

Perhaps it should have the Aquatic subtype instead? Both the swamp linnorm and swamp landwyrm have the Aquatic subtype, are amphibious, and have a swim speed. These are both found in marshes/swamps. If not, I'd give it water breathing.

It is funny that the black dragon has water breathing...its Water subtype already grants this ability. The only reason I can see giving it this entry is to explain that is breath weapon, spells, and other abilities work while underwater.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases