D&D 5E Helping New Players: A Collective Wisdom Thread

ArwensDaughter

Adventurer
The discussion about "new user experience" in the thread about Kate Welch leaving WOTC got me to thinking about my experience trying to help people learn to play D&D 5e. I thought it would be interesting to sharing wisdom/experience/best practices in helping people new to the game learn it. Here, in no particular order, are some of the things I've learned/experienced. Note that I have only really played in person; not all of these translate easily to online, although I'd be interested in hearing tips for online play.

-Keep it Simple! I shudder to remember the number of times I was trying to explain the basics to a brand new player only to have one or more experienced, enthusiastic players chime in with all sorts of details and complexities (like multiclassing, high level abilities, etc.), and the poor newbie's eyes start to either glaze over or go wide. I appreciate the enthusiasm, but all those complexities can easily overwhelm a newbie

-Emphasize the d20; I've had good luck telling players not to worry too much about all the other dice--I or an experienced player will help point those out when the time comes. (And I provide a dice "cheat sheet" they can use to line up their dice). I tell them the d20 is the most important, and that for most of the things they want to do, they will roll that and then add something to it.

-Mark up the character sheet. A couple of years ago, I started using highlighters to color-code my new players' character sheets: one color for skills, one for AC, etc. Then if they couldn't find something, I could say "look in the X section." This is not a workable solution for color blind players, so I was always careful to ask about that. It's never come up yet, but I would have needed to develop a symbol system for a color blind player.

-Consider using pre-gens. I found pre-generated characters a good starting point; new players don't get bogged down in character generation, but can sit down and play immediately. I have found that pregens printed on simplified character sheets can be particularly helpful. For a few months before COVID hit, I was occasionally DMing AL games at an FLGS. (I went to play, but they were short on DMs, so.....). They had access to some AL legal pregen characters that used a simplified character sheet. The sheets were great for newbies (especially the middle schoolers I was typically teaching there). It used symbols for the most important numbers, grouped skills under the related ability, etc.

-Sometimes, depending on time available and the personality/interest of the new player, instead of pregens, I worked with new players to create the characters: D&D Beyond was invaluable for this, making it quick and easy to create a character and export it to PDF. (ideally, the PDF takes some "massaging" to be more usable for a newbie).

-Go over the most important features of the character, but don't try to cover everything. One night in particular, I had a table full of middle school boys most of whom were brand new to the game; the rest only had a few AL sessions under their belt. I took a few moments to go over what I thought were the most important "special" features of their character: rage for the barbarian, spell slots for the casters, etc. It seemed to make a big difference in their experience that night. (As an aside, both I and the boys had a blast that night; this surprised me; I didn't like middle schoolers when I was one, and I still find them hard to deal with. But somehow things are very different at the D&D table.)

-

Then there are those of us who have been in the D&D world for a number of years, following the books and lore, but have only actually played a few times, so could be considered "new players", just not "new to D&D" lol.

Quickleaf

Legend
ArwensDaughter said:
-Mark up the character sheet. A couple of years ago, I started using highlighters to color-code my new players' character sheets: one color for skills, one for AC, etc. Then if they couldn't find something, I could say "look in the X section." This is not a workable solution for color blind players, so I was always careful to ask about that. It's never come up yet, but I would have needed to develop a symbol system for a color blind player.

I think you have a great list of guiding principles there!

As far as the character sheet goes, I think there's lots of room to improve how information is presented to the players. It should be less "tax form" and more "at-a-glance boardgame cheat sheet."

This also applies to adventures, actually, as there's room to improve how information is presented to the DM. It should be less "paragraphs upon paragraphs" and more "travel guide format."

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
My youngest 'new player' was 3 years old. We asked her to roll the dice for us. (Alternative: she gets bored and starts distracting Mom & Dad.) We found out that it was better for her to roll damage dice than to-hit rolls, because some to-hit rolls (single-digit rolls) are ungood. She did not know her numbers yet so could not tell a 'good' roll from a 'bad' one. And she thought that we were disappointed with her when our characters missed.
In contrast, all damage is good and more is better. Plus she got to play with a bunch of cool new kinds of dice.

Highlight of the night: she rolled a '20' with a die that lit up and flashed on a crit.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Given a new player at the table, pair them up with some one person who can guide them through the mechanics of play. If the characters have synergy (like Rogue + Paladin) this is a bonus. Anything the experienced player does not know, can be referred to the DM or the table Rules Sage (the guy who can look up things in the rulebook quickly).

CydKnight

Explorer
I think the biggest oversight I've made trying to teach new players is remembering that I'm not a new player so my view of D&D is totally skewed from theirs. So yes, keeping it simple can't be stressed enough imho.

CydKnight

Explorer
This also applies to adventures, actually, as there's room to improve how information is presented to the DM. It should be less "paragraphs upon paragraphs" and more "travel guide format."
I agree, you can always improve on this. The trick is getting that information across in an effective way to everyone. Some may be OK with the "paragraphs upon paragrahs" or may not care for travel guides at all. :)

Remove ads