• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Henchman idea?

Gruff veteran

Thanks MortalPlague. They didn't get far enough to actually meet this NPC last time, and we won't play again until at least October, so I have time to think about the concept some more.

I went with a human female monk who was the only survivor of an adventuring party.

I'm thinking now that your idea -- with a human male ranger -- and your more extensive backstory is better, but the NPC ended up with the orcs the same way -- lost, alone in the mountains, fought them off and saved.

The ranger also makes more sense for the role within the tribe. Since the holy animal of their tribe is the dire bear, I wrote it up so that they have two bears as animal companions/mascots, and the human's job is to take care of the bears.

Grizzled gruff ranger charged with keeping the bears? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. And I can give him some good weapons and armor, as that's what this dungeon is known for.

The opening scene of the next session will be the orcs knocking on the door of where the PC's have rested overnight, asking for a prisoner exchange -- the PC's fought 12 orcs, and 5 were only knocked out, not killed.

The prisoners the orcs have are two gnome prospectors, that they rescued from disaster and want to ransom back to the gnomes of the mountains.

Remove ads