• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Here be Kobolds (last update: Kobold Druid)

Klaus

First Post
Great work, Liquide!

You seem to be getting better at every new kobold! ;)

I like the strong linework, and the shading. The druid's Hide armor looks good, and yes, scale mail is a reptilian's armor of choice! :D Here are a couple of pointers to keep in mind:

1 - When drawing Small characters (halflings, kobolds, gnomes, goblins), I try and use some common techniques so they look like they're small, even without something to compare sizes. For instance, make the head a bit larger than you would a lizardfolk or troglodyte. The proportions of the rogue are more in line with the kobold's size. This is mainly due to the fact that, irl, brains can only get so small in sentient creatures, so I tend to use child-like proportions. Check out my Sunless Citadel play aids for my kobold proportions.

2 - Keep in mind the creature's stats. The average kobold has what, Str 6? Try and make them more sinewy, specially the torso. I like the big scales you used on the chest and abdomen, but they fit a lizardfolk better (lizardfolk have a high natural armor).

3 - Fur. The dire cat, dog and the fur on the druid's armor don't look too cool. My only advice here can be: look at how other artist's portray fur (or fire, or water or ice) and see which style looks more natural to you, and try to incorporate those lessons to your own style (you can see that the kobolds and the dire cat have very different styles). You can check my werewolf to see how I do fur.

4 - Nice quasit. Now where have I seen that kind of demon before? ("You shall not pass!") :D

It's funny that this thread is happening. In Counter Pack 2 I included three classed kobold characters, and I wrote two kobold only Prestige Classes that are included in Counter Pack 3! When the product comes out, I'll post those classes kobolds.

All in all, great work Liquide! You're definitely on the right path!

Cheers!

Liquide

DEX: 4
Klaus said:
Great work, Liquide!

You seem to be getting better at every new kobold! ;)

Oh my that warms my heart a lot coming from a professional like you :)

wipes out tear from the eye

Klaus said:
I like the strong linework, and the shading. The druid's Hide armor looks good, and yes, scale mail is a reptilian's armor of choice! :D Here are a couple of pointers to keep in mind:
[/B]

bows thank you!

Klaus said:
1 - When drawing Small characters (halflings, kobolds, gnomes, goblins), I try and use some common techniques so they look like they're small, even without something to compare sizes. For instance, make the head a bit larger than you would a lizardfolk or troglodyte. The proportions of the rogue are more in line with the kobold's size. This is mainly due to the fact that, irl, brains can only get so small in sentient creatures, so I tend to use child-like proportions. Check out my Sunless Citadel play aids for my kobold proportions.
[/B]

OK looked at your sorceress and her companions and I see what you mean. Still I like my primal muscular look on my kobolds, still I see what you mean when you say they can be confused with lizardfolk and trologdytes and I'll try a diffrent technique for the shadowdancer too see if it turns out OK!

Klaus said:
2 - Keep in mind the creature's stats. The average kobold has what, Str 6? Try and make them more sinewy, specially the torso. I like the big scales you used on the chest and abdomen, but they fit a lizardfolk better (lizardfolk have a high natural armor).
[/B]

Quite true but I rather see them as fit for their size (my kobolds only have -2 Str not -4 Str as thoose listed in the MM), so they proportions are the same as for a human for their size.

Klaus said:
3 - Fur. The dire cat, dog and the fur on the druid's armor don't look too cool. My only advice here can be: look at how other artist's portray fur (or fire, or water or ice) and see which style looks more natural to you, and try to incorporate those lessons to your own style (you can see that the kobolds and the dire cat have very different styles). You can check my werewolf to see how I do fur.
[/B]

I hate fur and try to avoid it but I'm still trying to learn how to do it nice. And yeah the ranger and his cat has very diffrent styles (should keep to a general style on the same drawing I know ;) ). Will continue to experiment with fur and finally I might be able to find a style I can do nicely enough :)

Klaus said:
4 - Nice quasit. Now where have I seen that kind of demon before? ("You shall not pass!") :D
[/B]

Actually it is inspired by the drawing in the FRCS for Improved familiar but I can see what you mean, and thanks once again.

Klaus said:
It's funny that this thread is happening. In Counter Pack 2 I included three classed kobold characters, and I wrote two kobold only Prestige Classes that are included in Counter Pack 3! When the product comes out, I'll post those classes kobolds.
[/B]

COOL, I wanna see more kobolds from you so that sounds like something I will bug you about every day from now until you post them :D

Klaus said:
All in all, great work Liquide! You're definitely on the right path!

Cheers! [/B]

Thanks and nice that you could pop in to my little realms!
You are still the king in my eyes (especially your iconics is B/W art I love)

Liquide

DEX: 4
Akin Ringpeace said:
This thread was great. What's it doing off the bottom of the page?

More kobolds!

Oh, and for those looking to oogle the lady kobolds, check out http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=524220#post524220 unless you're one of Piratecat's players.

He he, my schedule is a bit busy up to the 18th of December but of course I have to please the few fans I have with more kobolds.

I will do all the classes from the phb + dmg, after that I will do request of special kobold characters and splatbook prc kobolds :)

Does that sound ok to you lads and ladettes?

Last edited:

Dragongirl said:
Playgirl once did a spread on a guy with 2 penises.....scary.
wrong.gif

Well, nevermind...

SylverFlame

First Post
KOBALDS!!!! Finally, this is just incredible! hehehe

How about a kobald/half-dragon. I played one just a few days ago, but he regretably died in a red dragon's breath weapon. Messy.

Poor Fligglebutt. He was a Sor4, Dru3, Geomancer7, Half-Black dragon. Sorry if I'm detracting from your thread, but I just wanted to show that Kobalds can really become the GREATEST ADVENTURES EVER!!!!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads