• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hero Lab - do you use it?

Cergorach

The Laughing One
I wouldn't exactly call it cheap, especially not with all the extra content, it's of course a time vs. cost issue. I could see me buying it (as a GM), I think that unless players play RPGs very regualry, they would be reluctant to shell out all the cash for the program and all the extra content.

Such a program is usefull during prep time, but I don't think I'll use my PC at the table, so an iPad connection would be very usefull.

How does this program compare to programs like PCGen and the like?

Nikmal

First Post
I wouldn't exactly call it cheap, especially not with all the extra content, it's of course a time vs. cost issue. I could see me buying it (as a GM), I think that unless players play RPGs very regualry, they would be reluctant to shell out all the cash for the program and all the extra content.

Such a program is usefull during prep time, but I don't think I'll use my PC at the table, so an iPad connection would be very usefull.

How does this program compare to programs like PCGen and the like?

PCGen is good too. There are some major differences between PCGen and HL.
1 The interface on Hero Labs is a little easier to use in my opinion.
2. I think for the general user it is easier to add custom content in to HL over PCGen.
3. All the main Core Rules books like the GMG, the APG, the Core Rules, Both the Bestiaries are ALL added in to Hero Labs and with PCGen they are being added as we speak.. so it is a little slower on data entry.
4 PCGen is free and HL is not. The Volunteers that enter the data in to PCGen do not get paid for doing so and therefor are a little slower for that reason.

These are just some of the differences.

Twowolves

Explorer
As a DM, the ability to add class levels, templates, or additional hit dice (or all three) to any stock monster makes it a no brainer. Add to that the fact that HL has official Pathfinder support for all of the APs AND Organized Play and it's hands down the best. d20 Pro exporting is just icing on the cake.

overfiend_87

First Post
So one thing that totally burned me out on D&D was the difficulty of making interesting stat blocks at higher levels: templated creatures, monsters with class levels, etc.

But Hero Labs looks like the sort of thing I would have enjoyed using and would have taken the fiddle out of it. So have you used it? Does it work well?
I bought it recently and frankly I don't know why I havn't used it earlier. It's saved me a headache on things like adding HD on creatures, adding Advanced creature template or just about any other template, not to mention if you decice to homebrew something nasty like a human 8th level fighter, vampire template and Advanced, not to mention the many other templates like Nosferatu vampire or a young type of vampire which looks like a innocent child as they were changed young, but aren't really.

High level statblocks become very easy though and there is a editing feature, but I havn't done much with it as it is kinda complex. I find it very helpful in converting NPCs from APs for people online at d20pfsrd.com

neofax

First Post
I use both HeroLabs and PC-Gen(caveat emptor, I create data for PC-Gen so may bias my opinion, but I don't think so). Both are very capable character generators. Let me break them down:

HeroLabs
Pros
Nice user interface
Supports multiple RPG systems
Export to d20Pro and MapTools
Current with Paizo's release schedule(for the most part, there are some that are missing)

Cons
Expensive(however, think of convenience and time)
Not so easy to make your own races/classes

PC-Gen
Pros
Free
Supports multiple d20 RPG systems
Export to MapTools
Data coded for Core, Bestiary I & II, APG, multiple companions and chronicles

Cons
User interface(being worked now as it is a high priority)

I use both so as to make sure my character is 100% legit as I play PFS and do not want the hassle of having to fix my character during a convention. This also helps me fix both products and helps me learn the rules better.

Steel_Wind

Legend
We will be discussing and reviewing HeroLab in some depth on Episode #013 of Chronicles: Pathfinder Podcast. Who knows? We might even have a developer or two drop and by to chat about it, where it'e been and where it's going.

Short strokes until then? Herolab mostly rocks.

Liquidsabre

Explorer
I'm looking at picking up Hero Lab myself as several of my players have purchased it along with a few of the xpacs for Pathfinder. My question is about the secondary licenses. Is it alright to purchase say 4 more secondary licenses so that all my players can have access? This way we will be able to purchase all of the Pathfinder and other RPG content without breaking the bank?

Edit: Ok so I went and read the Terms of Agreement and it explicitly rules out sharing licenses with other users. Bummer. Come this next august total csot for buy-in for full Pathfinder RPG content will be $125 for Hero Lab + PF content. Not sure if I want to dive into that growing sinkhole or not. Though I am intrigued by the functionality with d20 Pro that I am also considering purchasing as well.

I would recommend Lone Wolf have discounted prices for multiple primary licenses purchases to make HL more accessible for game groups to buy into. I realize that over time older RPG content will likely be bundled together at a reduced price so that the overall cost ceiling doesn't grow too far out of reach by potential new users. Loyal users from the beginning will be paying a higher total cost comparatively, though they will have had a lot more use of the content over that time.

Last edited:

Nikmal

First Post
I'm looking at picking up Hero Lab myself as several of my players have purchased it along with a few of the xpacs for Pathfinder. My question is about the secondary licenses. Is it alright to purchase say 4 more secondary licenses so that all my players can have access? This way we will be able to purchase all of the Pathfinder and other RPG content without breaking the bank?

Edit: Ok so I went and read the Terms of Agreement and it explicitly rules out sharing licenses with other users. Bummer. Come this next august total csot for buy-in for full Pathfinder RPG content will be $125 for Hero Lab + PF content. Not sure if I want to dive into that growing sinkhole or not. Though I am intrigued by the functionality with d20 Pro that I am also considering purchasing as well.

I would recommend Lone Wolf have discounted prices for multiple primary licenses purchases to make HL more accessible for game groups to buy into. I realize that over time older RPG content will likely be bundled together at a reduced price so that the overall cost ceiling doesn't grow too far out of reach by potential new users. Loyal users from the beginning will be paying a higher total cost comparatively, though they will have had a lot more use of the content over that time.

While I agree that it would be nice for multiple licensing to be available for groups would be awesome I disagree that it costs 125 though. While yes it does nearly cost $100 (semantics I know), but you do not HAVE to pay for the full amount though unless you value the time vs the cost of entering manually yourself. The thing is that with the exception of the Core Rules everything else can be done via user content. Meaning that ALL of it after Core can be done by you the user. So the checks and balances come from is it worth your time to do it that way or is it worth the money to buy the expansions?

mxyzplk

Explorer
I use Hero Lab for Pathfinder as a GM, as does at least one player in my group (he uses it in play to roll dice and track statuses too; I just use it for prep). It's excellent; I looked at the other electronic tools like PCGen and RPGXplorer and it is way, way better than either.

The only drawback is how they're charging for every additional bit of data. I got the core, APG, and Bestiary and then I said "no more, sorry." It's a shame because then when there's stuff I want to incorporate that's not in the tool I tend to not use the tool, but it's just way too much (I already paid for the book and the PDF...).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads