• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Heroes for Hire" campaign thread

demonking1

First Post
Here is another campaign thread. Feel free to comment and make suggestions

General Plot: In this campaign the PCs are not pure or good. They are in fact heroes for hire, and are part of a Heroes Guild that takes contracts. The PCs do deeds ranging fro assassination to exploration.

Basic Story Ark (still trying to flesh it out) : The PCs are located in the city of Allav (I'm still trying to come up with a city name plz help me with that). The PCs take contracts from a Lizard who has no name as of yet. They take contracts from him up in till paragon tier at which he gives them a contract to free some prisoners in the secret city jail. As they fight through the jail they come to realize that the jail is not a jail at all but a hidden shrine of Pelor (they reason it is hidden is because it is located in a country where there is so separation of church and state and the official god of the country is Bahumat). They priests they are killing are good and the prisoners they are saving are worshipers of they Chain God. They then learn that the lizard man was in league with the worshipers of the Chain God and are trying to free the god. A which point the Pcs go on a quest to save the world and get a lot of money in the process.

Other: Religion follows the guide lines of the PHB. i do not have a world map yet but i have decided to make it all on one continent.

Yet again, fell free to comment. :D

Alaric_Argent

First Post
Hmm. Where to start? Perhaps by asking few questions...

Why did the priests of Pelor have the Chain God worshippers in custody? Did they spot a danger the more complaisant theocrats of Bahamut missed? How will the powers that be react when/if they learn of the secret priesthood?

What's lizardman's motivation, more specifically? Is he also a worshipper of the Chain God? Is he an amoral profiteer, interested in his own wealth and power?

Have your PCs even heard of the Chain God? Do they realize what sort of danger his release involves?

How do they find out about the alliance between their erstwhile employer and the CG's followers? Is there a moment of twisted exposition when the lizardman himself reveals all (the sort of thing usually done gleefully)? Is there an interested party, be it mortal or exarch or demigod, who enlightens them?

As for naming the city, think about the racial mix of the population and the geography of the area. Also, I don't know if you like to be Dickensian or Rowlingesque in your naming (that is, to have meaning or historical allusion or euphonious considerations factor in your choices); if you do, let those considerations give you some guidance. My nom de guerre in this forum comes from a sorcerer I played a few months ago; his surname comes from the heraldic term for "silver," and he has two silver dragons in his ancestory.

Last edited:

demonking1

First Post
Hmm. Where to start? Perhaps by asking few questions...

Why did the priests of Pelor have the Chain God worshippers in custody? Did they spot a danger the more complaisant theocrats of Bahamut missed? How will the powers that be react when/if they learn of the secret priesthood?

What's lizardman's motivation, more specifically? Is he also a worshipper of the Chain God? Is he an amoral profiteer, interested in his own wealth and power?

Have your PCs even heard of the Chain God? Do they realize what sort of danger his release involves?

How do they find out about the alliance between their erstwhile employer and the CG's followers? Is there a moment of twisted exposition when the lizardman himself reveals all (the sort of thing usually done gleefully)? Is there an interested party, be it mortal or exarch or demigod, who enlightens them?

The priests of Pelor put the cultists i jail because they wanted to make sure they would not summon the Chain God. If the government found out about the Pelorians, the would be executed. The lizardman is a worshiper of the Chain God. Only the cleric knows about the Chain God. The lizard man reveals his alliance after the quest, offering them unlimited power if they help him.

Foxen

First Post
The Lizard should be named....the Lizard.

"Go see the Lizard, he's got something for ya!"
"The Lizard's looking for you sorry lot, seems pretty pissed! "
"The Lizard is pleased...." (okay, that came out wrong).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads