• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Heroes, Inc., Day 1: Mysterious Strangers

kirinke

First Post
Helpless looking women are oft times more powerful than they appear. Alethia thought to herself.

And children are even more suspect, especially in battle. the voice whispered dryly in her mind.

DM_Matt

First Post
DM_Matt said:
I thank you for your help. As soon as Aleena comes back and we fix her up, we should go on top of the lighthouse and explain all this. Some more of my men and my family will arrive up there any minute. They will bring a device that will amplify our voices. Take a look, there is an enormous crowd out there. I guess rumors spread fast."

Just highlighting a passage that seems to have been missed.

kirinke

First Post
Alethia looks at the place where Aleena will reappear. "I wonder what kind of demon they were trying to summon and for what?" she asks aloud. "Demon lords always demand a price for letting mortals 'borrow' their minions. Whatever they were trying to accomplish had to be more than killing a paladin and his daughter in the name of evil."

frostrune

First Post
Timrin takes a moment to remove Peregion's cloak and respectfully covers his body before his daughter returns. You can tell by the tone of his voice Timrin is in a dark mood.

"That foul creature took a part of Peregion. And by the nature of the attack, I think it may have been another ambush. They had a specific plan to deal with him." He looks at Peregion's sword, "They knew to disarm him."

He now directs a wrathful glare at Zarun, addressing him for the first time.

"What did you know of this? Could this have been averted?"

He seems shocked by his own venom and softens his tone before continuing.

"Forgive me. I owe you my thanks for your timely intervention else fewer of us may yet draw breath."

"That does not automatically make us allies however."

"Our duty is to this city and our Patron. While I'm as interested as the next man in learning what this is all about you need to answer to the watch before stirring up anything more. However noble your intentions may be, your warships on the horizon got this whole mess started. Now a Lord of the City lies dead."

kirinke

First Post
"Cousin, I think such a creature would automatically consider Lord Perigeron a threat and seek to disarm and kill him first, even if he wasn't their primary target." she told her friend.

DM_Matt

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
"Your sources seem to know what they're talking about," Fin notes. "Did it occur to you to get word to the City that such a danger might exist?"

"I only was alerted to the danger earlier today. I was scheduled to arrive on time to hunt Kurin down anyway. You are correct, though, that I bear some guilt. I was so focused on eliminating the beast that annihilated my family that enlisting aid from within the city simply never crossed my mind. In any case, the information was highly non-specific. It was in fact by a mere feat of luck that we saw the strange goings-on through a telescope on our lead ship, and were able to so quickly come to your aid. You see, we were going to use the lighthouse to announce the return of House Drakkenmere, anyway."

DM_Matt

First Post
frostrune said:
Timrin takes a moment to remove Peregion's cloak and respectfully covers his body before his daughter returns. You can tell by the tone of his voice Timrin is in a dark mood.

"That foul creature took a part of Peregion. And by the nature of the attack, I think it may have been another ambush. They had a specific plan to deal with him." He looks at Peregion's sword, "They knew to disarm him."

He now directs a wrathful glare at Zarun, addressing him for the first time.

"What did you know of this? Could this have been averted?"

He seems shocked by his own venom and softens his tone before continuing.

"Forgive me. I owe you my thanks for your timely intervention else fewer of us may yet draw breath."

"That does not automatically make us allies however."

"Our duty is to this city and our Patron. While I'm as interested as the next man in learning what this is all about you need to answer to the watch before stirring up anything more. However noble your intentions may be, your warships on the horizon got this whole mess started. Now a Lord of the City lies dead."

"I knew nothing about any connection between Kurin and Peregion. Kurin is a mass murderer. He does these kinds of things. And thus I hunted him. But please do not insinuate that I had anything to do with Peregion's death at the hands of Kurin, either directly, or somehow because I traveled here in warships. My entire family was killed here by Kurin. I have a right to come prepared form anything. In fact, since I am taking over the formal noble title of House Drakkenmere, I am entitled to a private army of a certain size with which to defend myself and my property."

Aleena and the light reappear, and the image is again projected onto the water. Aiden turns rapidly, the ruby-wand springing from his bracer, and fires at the machine, hitting it in three different places. The light goes out. Aleena appears unharmed by the firey bolts.

Aleena lays on one of the intact lenses. Her forearms are bleeding rapidly and the side of her head is somewhat swollen form when the carriage flipped over. No other wounds are apparent. She is breathing, but not moving or responding in any other way.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
DM_Matt said:
Aleena lays on one of the intact lenses. Her forearms are bleeding rapidly and the side of her head is somewhat swollen form when the carriage flipped over. No other wounds are apparent. She is breathing, but not moving or responding in any other way.

I think that's a fine use for Fin's Cure Moderate Wounds.

kirinke

First Post
Alethia runs forward, taking Aleena off the lens and carefully lays her on the ground, before taking out her own cure light wounds. She pauses as Timrin comes forward as well and moves aside, keeping her wand ready in case the lady needs more than what Timrin can do.

frostrune

First Post
kirinke said:
Alethia runs forward, taking Aleena off the lens and carefully lays her on the ground, before taking out her own cure light wounds. She pauses as Timrin comes forward as well and moves aside, keeping her wand ready in case the lady needs more than what Timrin can do.

Timrin does indeed move forward with Fin and Alethia but not without a last remark to Aiden, his anger apparently not quite spent.

"Noble you may be but title does not place you above responsibility for your actions. I'm certain there are protocols for a force of your size to safely approach without rousing the entirity of Waterdeep's navy and skyguard. If those rules were followed Lord Peregion would not have been forced from his party and ambushed. Men died because rules were broken. I'm sure their families will be comforted you arrived in grand fashion."

Those last remarks are said over his shoulder purposely dismissive. His full atention is directly toward Lady Aleena and her wounds.

[sblock] I have at least 5 charges on my CLW wand to offer her. He will hesitate for just a moment as Fin casts his healing spell, concentrating on detecting evil on Aleena. Her original captor was never here and how do we know she isn't a shapeshifter? One can never be too careful with demons [/sblock]

OOC: Peregion had a couple normal guards that were killed in that 1st ambush, right? If not scratch that comment and replace it with a hard look.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads