• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Heroes of Horror

Psion

Adventurer
Still waiting to get this one. I am excited to see what it has to offer.

Villain creation worse that Kalamar? Perhaps the mechanics tainted the whole book for me, but it seemed like the villain design handbook horrid. The sections on archetypes were decent and usable. Does HoH really acheive less than that? Let me know more.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Psion said:
Still waiting to get this one. I am excited to see what it has to offer.

Villain creation worse that Kalamar? Perhaps the mechanics tainted the whole book for me, but it seemed like the villain design handbook horrid. The sections on archetypes were decent and usable. Does HoH really acheive less than that? Let me know more.

I'll agree that the mechanics were bad, but there wa a lot of sound advsie to me. HoH acheives less that that because well, there's less than that there. There are some tables with traits and some ideas about using film/movies/books for archtypes and guiding patterns, but I'm not getting the full "ommph" of it.

And yeah, my review will go into some details on various resources and ideas that I had long before I picked up this book. For example, Nightmares of Mine, I think it's by Kenneith Height, is an old old book from I.C.E. when they were still doing Rolemaster, but it's a gameless book. I think parts of it made it into the previous GURPS Horror updated book that came out before GURPS 4th ed.

And on the taint, I dig it. It's just I didn't want to see it AGAIN. It's taken from OA, updated in UA, and updated again here. I like the mechanic, I just think that there are other things that could be done in D&D outside of necromancers, undead, and taint, the former two especially given the recent book Liber Mortis.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads