• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Heroes of the Elemental Chaos

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Would you allow Knockout to work on an enemy that was Huge/Gargantuan and also would you stipulate that the PC had to be able to hit the monster on the head?
It hasn't come up. I think the answer is yes, and no. Massive localized pain can knock a person unconscious regardless of location; if you shatter my knee cap, I'm passing out from pain even though my head is unaffected.

I don't like taking away PC "toys" unless there's a darn good reason. Can you trip a gelatinous cube? Probably not, but you could conceivably set up vibrations that stop it from moving for a round, which has the same effect as tripping it. My default is to say "yes, but..." to players.

This sort of question came up last night when the PCs knocked a shapeless, flying monster "prone." I decided that in this case I was going to write a "can't be tripped or knocked prone" into their monster description. That's a better solution than making an ad hoc ruling that applies to all flying creatures.

Tony Vargas

Legend
This sort of question came up last night when the PCs knocked a shapeless, flying monster "prone." I decided that in this case I was going to write a "can't be tripped or knocked prone" into their monster description. That's a better solution than making an ad hoc ruling that applies to all flying creatures.
That would be a nasty ad-hoc ruling, considering 'prone' is how you knock flying creatures out of the sky. A ranged 'proning' attack is about the only way you can keep a flier from just standing off and obviating any melee types in your group - if it has hover, I believe, it is the only way, as hover eliminates Stunned as a way of bringing it down.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads