• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Heroes, Zeroes, and Kings

Ratskinner

Adventurer
I can't comment on BECMI as I had moved on to AD&D before BECMI came out. I can comment on the B2 basic D&D boxed set though. The basic D&D book with B2 Keep on the Borderlands is extremely easy to play. Character levels go to 3 (with some NPCs as high as 6). All you really need to understand is how to roll to hit, how to roll saves, how to roll turn undead, and thief skills. All the charts fit on two pages.

BECMI (B2 is the start of BECMI) is certainly simpler than AD&D, no doubt. While those charts may fit on two pages (which, I feel, is excessive anyway, but I recognize that I may be extreme that way:lol:), many spells and monster abilities have their own unique effects and resolution mechanics that can be totally unrelated to saving throws and other "standard" character abilities. Somebody has to DM, too.

The funny thing about this game I'm in is that we keep trying out new mechanics (particularly skill systems). The oldest, crankiest grognard in the group is the one doing all the tinkering (which the DM cheerfully tries.) But he keeps reinventing the wheel in desperation to avoid saying anything good came out of 3e+.:lol: (The current game is a hodgepodge of mostly BECMI feel, but with influences from Castles & Crusades and two other "indie" games that I'm failing to recall the names of.) Its a good time, anyway. Sometimes, I feel like the 5e "basic" game may be kinda like that.

Remove ads