Heroic Tier 5th man builds?

twsstastic

Villager
Aside from not picking the bad ones (Shade, Vryloka...) race actually doesn't matter too much in mid-late Heroic games. It can snag you a proficiency+damage feat, or if you're Cha it's pretty relevant (Tiefling or Dragonborn are just so much better), but otherwise you can pretty safely go 17/15/... or just throw that 18 in Str with a race only boosting Str if it's a good race.

I think my choices would be as follows:
Human: Heroic Only an Extra Feat is just great and Heroic Effort makes the loss 2nd stat basically irrelevant even if you were to pick up a Wis based attack. Oh, and bonus skill and defenses.

Mul: Since your U2 gives you a non-standard action 2nd Wind, there's little reason for Dwarf.

Dragonborn: The new Drakonian Kapak variant (Dragon 421) gives you a Minor Action Encounter Attack that unlike Dragonbreath gets you full damage bonuses. Oh, and Flight.

Genasi is the Archetypal race for Ranger|Cleric because of their Paragon/Epic absurdity but the Racial for Storm adds yet another Minor Action for more damage.

Beyond that I'd say they're all pretty equal, +Wis really isn't that necessary beyond +1 Will, so the difference between Goliath/Minotaur/Shifter and any other +Str race is limited.

I never get to play with Genasi so this sounds very appealing. It stays relevant if we do end up with some paragon-epic games, and I totally see the stormsoul multiattack/off-turn attack synergy and love it. Looks like the fastest access at this low level is to get lightning short swords on my wishlist. You've all been so helpful. Gonna post a genasi remake soon to see what you all think if you want to chime in more.

twsstastic

Villager
Thought I'd just make a rough heroic game plan to see what I'd, in general, do. Threw whatever items on. MY LEVEL 2 stuff is just starting with a subtle and a level 1 short sword, with the ki focus and lightning stuff on the wishlist.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Thrr-zonde - Copy, level 10
Genasi, Ranger/Cleric
Hybrid Ranger Option: Hybrid Ranger Reflex
Hybrid Cleric Option: Battle Cleric's Lore
Elemental Manifestation Option: Stormsoul
Inherent Bonuses
Pivotal Event - Divine Decree (+2 to Nature)
Theme: Elemental Initiate

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 20, CON 12, DEX 16, INT 10, WIS 14, CHA 11

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 16, CON 12, DEX 14, INT 8, WIS 14, CHA 11

AC: 27 Fort: 23 Ref: 21 Will: 21
HP: 69 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 17

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +15, Endurance +15, Insight +12, Nature +16, Perception +12, Religion +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +8, Arcana +5, Bluff +5, Diplomacy +5, Dungeoneering +7, Heal +7, History +5, Intimidate +5, Stealth +8, Streetwise +5, Thievery +8

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Elemental Initiate Attack: Disciplined Counter
Genasi Racial Power: Promise of Storm
Hunter's Quarry Power: Hunter's Quarry
Cleric Utility: Healing Word
Cleric Attack 1: Righteous Brand
Ranger Attack 1: Twin Strike
Cleric Attack 1: Mighty Hew
Ranger Attack 1: Jaws of the Wolf
Ranger Utility 2: Invigorating Stride