Heroscape Castle, Wall and Tower Set: Photos & Review!

Iron_Chef

First Post
Hasbro finally released the $25 Heroscape wall and tower (castle) set in October. I just picked up one set at Toys "R" Us yesterday to check it out and threw together this small keep (I ran out of battlements which you can see if you look closely and the set came with 50 of the little buggers!). You really need two or more sets to construct a proper castle, IMO. Note that the battlements not only connect to the walls but can connect to ANY ground terrain tile (except water) to create a palisade. Very versatile. The ladders are uniquely constructed so that any figure with a slot or round base (such as D&D Minis, Star Wars minis, Citadel/Warhammer) can "plug" into any rung and stay suspended in mid-air at any point on the ladder! Nice touch. The fully movable castle door is removable and comes with a wooden bar that can lock into place.

The pieces all snap securely into place and if you've built it right, you can pick up the castle and carry it around the house with no problem (not so with the ground tiles underneath it). The pieces are all extremely sturdy. Color me impressed! ;)

The pictured setup below includes almost all of one Fortess of the Archkyrie set (walls, towers, ladders, battlements, flag) and bits of four Road to the Forgotten Forest sets (low walls, bridge, trees and road tiles). The only reason I needed four sets was each set only comes with two low walls (aka guard rails for the bridge).

The minis are mostly Reaper and Ral Partha. The skull fountains ($12 for the pair)and tombstone are by Grendel Resin from Scotland.

castle8.jpg

castle2.jpg

castle1.jpg

Close-up of the entrance

castle5.jpg

Top-down view

castle7.jpg

castle6.jpg

castle4.jpg

castle3.jpg

Observe the Heroscape Maro Warrior on the ladder closely--see how the figure's base slots into the ladder's rung? Pretty cool!

Iron_Chef

First Post
Yeah, it was supposed to be out in August but got delayed until October. And once a new set is released, Heroscape distribution is notoriously slow to reach the west coast for some reason... We're always a couple weeks behind the east coast and midwest. I hear Wal-Mart is not stocking much Heroscape anymore, even on their website--which is stupid, considering how much they sell. :\

Last edited:

Glyfair

Explorer
Iron_Chef said:
I hear Wal-Mart is not stocking much Heroscape anymore, even on their website--which is stupid, considering how much they sell. :\

Well, this season they are implementing the "scorched earth" policy they used a few years ago that drove FAO Schwartz out of business, but KayBee into bancruptcy and nearly did the same to Toys 'R Us. They are pricing many toys at HUGE cost breaks. Perhaps they can't get those huge margins on the Heroscape products (especially since WotC is going to start handling them in the future) and have decided to only minimally carry them.

Remove ads