D&D 5E Higher Level Versions of Existing Spells

Huntsman57

First Post
If a player wanted to create a spell that was essentially identical to an existing spell except that it would become a bonus action, or reaction, whereas this was not previously the case, would you allow this? If you would allow it, how much higher a level would the spell be?

BoldItalic

First Post
Sorcerers can do this anyway, with the "Quickened Spell" Metamagic, so all the player has to do is to multiclass into Sorc-3, choose that Metamagic option and he's good to go.

jrowland

First Post
Yes, sorc can do this with metamagic, so that is a good "baseline" if you will.

For a Wizard (or sorc) to have access to that spell, it should be roughly equivalent to that or perhpas slightly worse (so a sorc with quicken metamagic is better than just having it in a higher level slot)

Not sure how you convert the point cost to higher spell level, but 1+Spell Point cost+current level=new level might be a good start.

If a player wanted to create a spell that was essentially identical to an existing spell except that it would become a bonus action, or reaction, whereas this was not previously the case, would you allow this? If you would allow it, how much higher a level would the spell be?
I've generally considered action economy boosts quite powerful. IIRC I've charged three spell levels to convert casting time to a reaction, and would do the same for a bonus action.

Yes, this does imply that Expeditious Retreat is overpowered for its level. My logic is that someone spent serious effort optimizing that fourth-level spell to fit onto a first-level chassis. PCs can do the same (research spells at a decreased level) but it's expensive and harder.

pdegan2814

First Post

If it's a damage or healing spell, also consider a dice reduction as part of the re-balancing. As an example, look at Cure Wounds vs. Healing Word. Both 1st-level spells, but Healing Word is d4-based instead of d8 in exchange for being able to cast it as a Bonus Action.

Is there a specific example you can mention that someone in your group has said they want to create, or is this purely a "what-if" exercise for the moment?

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
For a bonus action, I was going to suggest 1-2 levels, since you still can't use your other action to cast a regular non-cantrip spell. This diminishes its utility as primary casters don't have much to do with their other action and non-primary-casters don't get very many higher level spells (so 1-2 levels feels more painful to them).

Reaction is trickier to balance because you can cast a regular spell on your turn and then a reaction spell off-turn. Maybe look at how hellish rebuke's damage stacks up vs. the guidelines. Off the cuff I'd say improving a spell to be a reaction is at least 2-3 levels but it depends on the spell and might be more or less.

Athinar

Explorer
O believe in this (something out of 1ed)

If you change the damage, length of time, range or area of affect, increase the spell by 2 levels, making it bonus action, +1 level, making it +1 = 1 sorcerer point

so if you change the Range, 2 levels, Damage 2 levels, duration 2 levels, etc...

Healing Word is d4-based with Range and bonus action, Cure Wounds is touch and action,

Advanced Healing Word, Range (same), Action, D6
Advanced Cure Wounds, Touch (same), Round, max hit points, 8 per die

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases