Highlander Rewatch

Mad_Jack

Legend
Highlander Raven.

My mom had that one on DVD. For about fifteen years. She never opened the boxed set. Elizabeth Gracen was awesome, but the show's material just wasn't that inspired, and the male lead was cable chaff.

I was actually really sad that The Raven wasn't a better show - it could have been decent if they'd been able to do the show they wanted to instead of what the European investors wanted to see. If you watch the extras in the dvd box set, there was all kinds of ridiculous drama (some of it tragic and some entirely avoidable if people had been communicating) going on behind the scenes that basically doomed the show.

Re: Highlander movies 2-4 : Like the first one said, "There can be only one."

Zardnaar

Legend
I was actually really sad that The Raven wasn't a better show - it could have been decent if they'd been able to do the show they wanted to instead of what the European investors wanted to see. If you watch the extras in the dvd box set, there was all kinds of ridiculous drama (some of it tragic and some entirely avoidable if people had been communicating) going on behind the scenes that basically doomed the show.

Re: Highlander movies 2-4 : Like the first one said, "There can be only one."

I'm liking the show better than the first movie.

All the other movies though terrible

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Highlander 3 I thought was good because it seemed to ignore the second one (which would have been better as some sort of stand alone scifi).

The 4th was continuing on from the series where the focus was on Duncan rather than Conner, still a good watch but it effectively ignores the previous films.

Zardnaar

Legend
Highlander 3 I thought was good because it seemed to ignore the second one (which would have been better as some sort of stand alone scifi).

The 4th was continuing on from the series where the focus was on Duncan rather than Conner, still a good watch but it effectively ignores the previous films.

I didn't mind 3 but it was 1995 iirc and I was 17 or so. Probably just looked good to part two.

Orius

Legend
It wasn't bad, it was the kind of thing one could expect from TV at the time, before story arcs became everything. Season 3 through Season 5 was generally the strongest part of the series.

I think the show really did the whole concept of immortality better than the films. Even the first film was kind of weak, but it really didn't have the time to explore Connor's life. The series gives us a much better look at Duncan's life. Then again, Duncan seems to be a much better adjusted immortal than Connor. Connor seems to hate being immortal and seeing everyone he cares about die. Duncan handles it better, he loses people he cares about too, but he accepts it as part of being immortal. Duncan's main regret is generally that he can't have children as an immortal, but it doesn't consume him like Connor's loneliness.

The first half of season one was kind of weak. There was too much stuff that tried to copy the film, and many of the stories were weak. It got better when the action shifted to Paris in the second half. I think Tessa was a weak character though, she usually just ended up playing the damsel in distress for Duncan to rescue, or she'd be angsting about him fighting another immortal. The series picked up in season two, the Watchers were an interesting addition and I always liked the stuff about Duncan mentoring Ritchie. And the series was able to do both serious and lighter episodes well.

Zardnaar

Legend
It wasn't bad, it was the kind of thing one could expect from TV at the time, before story arcs became everything. Season 3 through Season 5 was generally the strongest part of the series.

I think the show really did the whole concept of immortality better than the films. Even the first film was kind of weak, but it really didn't have the time to explore Connor's life. The series gives us a much better look at Duncan's life. Then again, Duncan seems to be a much better adjusted immortal than Connor. Connor seems to hate being immortal and seeing everyone he cares about die. Duncan handles it better, he loses people he cares about too, but he accepts it as part of being immortal. Duncan's main regret is generally that he can't have children as an immortal, but it doesn't consume him like Connor's loneliness.

The first half of season one was kind of weak. There was too much stuff that tried to copy the film, and many of the stories were weak. It got better when the action shifted to Paris in the second half. I think Tessa was a weak character though, she usually just ended up playing the damsel in distress for Duncan to rescue, or she'd be angsting about him fighting another immortal. The series picked up in season two, the Watchers were an interesting addition and I always liked the stuff about Duncan mentoring Ritchie. And the series was able to do both serious and lighter episodes well.

Yeah this is how I see it. Tess was there for exactly that.

Mercurius

Legend
While I'm not a big fan of "remake-extravaganza" that speaks to the lack of originality in Hollywood, I think Highlander is one film that is due. Javier Bardem as Ramirez?

practicalm

Explorer
I think the show does a good job world building. It would be interesting to run it as a campaign where a group of immortals and or mortal companions deal with the evil immortal of the week or just complications for being immortal.

Or if you merged Highlander with Dresden Files and now you have a real complicated universe on your hands.

Zardnaar

Legend
I think the show does a good job world building. It would be interesting to run it as a campaign where a group of immortals and or mortal companions deal with the evil immortal of the week or just complications for being immortal.

Or if you merged Highlander with Dresden Files and now you have a real complicated universe on your hands.

I did like the world building, better than a few modern shows.

Getting towards the end if season 5. Something about the devil and I remember this is when the show goes downhill.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases