HISTORICAL CAMPAIGNS

Thought it might be cool to start a general history RPG thread. How do you approach running a game set in real world history? Any times and places you think are particularly well suited to RPG adventures? Recommended books, primary sources, breakdowns and historical atlases?

pogre

Legend
I have used Savage Worlds for historical campaigns.

I ran a campaign where the players were agents of Vespasian during the time of the 4 emperors.

I was influenced by the historical fiction of Robert Fabri and numerous Roman Imperial Histories.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
So my screen name and avatar...

GURPS sourcebooks are very good and are useful even with other RPGs. I have so many of those.

GURPs as a rules systems makes sense, though it is pretty crunchy. Savage Worlds is also good, and would defiantly allow for a more action oriented/pulpy feel.

There is also Call of Cthulhu or World of Darkness if you want to add those elements, and they also have good historical support (though you will need to find things from past editions). CoC is defiantly my favourite RPG set in the "real world".

Or you could come up with a parallel fantasy earth and run Gygaxian D&D in it. Which is of course what I did for many years.

MGibster

Legend
One of my favorite games to run is Call of Cthulhu which is traditionally set in the 1920s very often in the United States. I enjoy the era because it's at once so familiar to players but still very different in a lot of was. But here's how I approach running games in historical settings.

1. Tone down the institutional racism and sexism. It's no fun for the players if their characters can't fully participate in the adventure or they have to listen to derogatory language. I don't fully ignore it in my campaigns, but don't let it get in the way of fun.
  2. History is full of people who buck social norms. Try not to pigeonhole characters into narrow roles as defined by the norms of the time period.

I've run many historical campaigns. Just about any time period holds fascinating aspects once researched. One of the more useful tools I have found is to goole 'events in the year...', which will lead to sites which detail the events of any particular year.

I personally don't use GURPs because the information they provide is generic, and very often has been subject to interpretation; they also tend to ignore the more controversial events of a given period. IMO, if you are going to go historical, take advantage of it.

Aside from the annual timelines, Wikipedia is good for a general overview, and will quickly (and for free) will point the GM into scores of interesting situations. History is filled with circumstances that are far beyond what RPG writers will come up with.

One of my favorite games to run is Call of Cthulhu which is traditionally set in the 1920s very often in the United States. I enjoy the era because it's at once so familiar to players but still very different in a lot of was. But here's how I approach running games in historical settings.

1. Tone down the institutional racism and sexism. It's no fun for the players if their characters can't fully participate in the adventure or they have to listen to derogatory language. I don't fully ignore it in my campaigns, but don't let it get in the way of fun.
  2. History is full of people who buck social norms. Try not to pigeonhole characters into narrow roles as defined by the norms of the time period.

To each his own, but this is exactly the opposite of what I recommend.

The biases of a given period make up much of what a period is; to strip it away immediately removes the historical aspect of the setting. More importantly, it eliminates a deep well of roleplaying activity.

For example, I recently ran an occult campaign in Mexico during their civil war. The PCs included a Chinese immigrant and a Native American. That period is very interesting because under the thick layer of civil war were very complex issues involving Mexico's growing Chinese population, the role of Native American groups (a key factor in the conduct of the war itself), the large population of former Negro slaves from the USA and Cuba, the appearance of Mormon colonies, and others.

The thing about institutional racism is that it creates subcultures which are impenetrable by the majority, and which touch all aspects of the majority's interactions. The PCs quickly discovered that while their non-Mexican PCs couldn't share service with the Anglos in many business establishments, those same PCs were welcome in their own ethnic communities, where information was obtainable that would be impossible or at least extremely difficult to secure by other means. Theses sub-classes provided cooks, busboys, cleaners, and all the other services to the majority establishment, and out of self-defense they kept their eyes and ears open, and shared amongst themselves information (and gossip) that often was invaluable to the PCs' investigation.

aco175

Legend
An old 3e Dragon Magazine had a section on a Robin Hood campaign which I always wanted to run. A 3 Musketeers campaign would also be fun, but needs better rules on guns and using less armor. You can also throw in the other Dumas books like Count of Monte Cristo and Man in the Iron Mask.

A lot of movies seem to bring some ideas as well. The more recent King Arthur movie with Clive Owen was good with the twist of a falling Rome and the tribal conflicts.

MGibster

Legend
To each his own, but this is exactly the opposite of what I recommend.

The biases of a given period make up much of what a period is; to strip it away immediately removes the historical aspect of the setting. More importantly, it eliminates a deep well of roleplaying activity.
I'm of the mind that we all don't like the same things and that's okay. If this is something you and your group are comfortable with then I say more power to you. If y'all are having fun then you're doing it right. I do agree that there is a deep wellspring of role playing possible.

Remove ads