• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hmm, no Rolemaster, Harp, or Merp Tag/ Where is the rolemaster/merp "Delivering a baby" skill chart?

QuaziquestGM

First Post
I'm using "The One Ring" because there doesn't seem to be a tag for ICE products. It is short of Middle Earth/ LOTR related....

Several years ago I was thumbing though either a MERP or RoleMaster book and saw a chart for the results of trying to use the Heal skill (or whatever it is called in RM) to deliver a baby.

I'm thinking about using rolemaster charts in my 3.5/pathfinder game for "off module" off module freeform encounters (seems more fun than 4e style skill challenges), and maybe placing "peasant woman in labour" on the "you took the wrong road" random encounter chart, or putting "woman in labour" on the "you shouldn't have started a zombie apocalypse" random complication chart (right between "infected child" and "bitten by both a werewolf and a zombie, what now?"

So, I'm looking though my Rolemaster library and haven't found it yet. Can any Rolemaster fans point me in the right direction? I didn't find it in "Hard Knocks". I'm not even sure what edition it was in.

As for the rolling formula: I was thinking 1: Roll %, 2: Resolve "high/low open rolls", 3: add (d20 skill bonus x 5).

Rolemaster skills are % based, with a 1-5 being a fumble and a 96-100 being a critical success. If you fumble you role again and subtract . If you get a crit success you roll again and add. These are called "open rolls".

Last edited:

Jhaelen

First Post
I only recall there was Midwife class with several spell lists to deal with any kind of complications that might come up before and during child-birth...

Azgulor

Adventurer
Rolemaster Companion 1 (blue cover, I think) had a chart that determined outcomes (# of children, potential complications, etc.) if memory serves. That's the only thing I can recall on the subject within the game.

QuaziquestGM

First Post
Thanks guys.

Azgulor: The chart in Companion 1 is the birth injury chart (to mother) on page 79.

While useful (egads!) it isn't the one I'm looking for. It was a "open roll" chart. I think the "66 odd occurrence" was something along the line of unexpected guests barging in, and one of the fumble results was a deformity or still birth followed by the father accusing you of witchcraft.

Does that ring any bells?

Jhaelen: Do you recall which book?

I'll try checking for midwifery instead of heal and medical.

For the (morbid) curious, here is the injury chart. (i guess not all of the injuries are to the mother)

"BIRTH INJURY CHART"
"Die Roll Result"
"90-00 Exhaustion"
"80-89 •""l: Laceration I"
"70-79 Delayed Labor"
"60-69 Laceration II"
"57-59 : Excessive Bleeding"
"54-56 Excessive Post-natal Bleeding"
"50-53 Fracture"
"46-49 Breech Position"
"42-45 Premature Labor"
"38-41 Laceration Ill"
"36-37 Blood Poisoning"
"32-35 Closed Canal"
"30-31 Organ Prolapse"
"28-29 Organ Injury"
"25-27 Physical Malformation"
"22-24 Mental Malformation"
"18-21 Oxygen Starvation"
"16-17 Throat Blockage"
"14-15 Umbilical Cord Prolapse"
"13 Extensive Malformation"
"11-12 Injury Miscarriage"
"05 10 Retention Problein Miscarriage"
"03-04 Fatal Malformation Miscarriage"
"01-02 Laceration IV"

Zhaleskra

Adventurer
You'll probably get better responses about ICE products on their forums.

When I played RM in the '90s, I'd always say that Jackie Chan's death will be caused by a fumble on his tooth brushing roll.

QuaziquestGM

First Post
I'm not "new", just not very active. I actually relocated to Indonesia (from Savannah) to take a job 4 years ago, based on a contact I made on this forum, and I'm still playing with that group.

As for the midwifery chart, I found the skill description in Companion II, based on an index reference in Companion IV, but the chart wasn't with it.

What edition was Companion II? I think I need what ever book in the same edition that has the charts for secondary skills.

One of the things slowing me down in my search is that I keep stopping to read while looking through the books.... The other problem is that they are a mixed set grab bag of various editions.

Zhaleskra

Adventurer
There might be some non-system-specific options.

For one HARP game, we used one of the "Central Casting" books for backgrounds, which gave a lot more detail than simply picking race and culture.

Last edited:

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I'm using "The One Ring" because there doesn't seem to be a tag for ICE products.
You could make one. There wasn't always a Planescape tag, but I made a few and sent them to Morrus.

... then he went on a tear and made dozens of tags for all kinds of things. B-)

But I would bet that it would be relatively easy for Morrus to add a new tag if the graphics design is already done.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads