D&D 5E Hoard of the Dagon Queen - the town of Greenest.

ccs

41st lv DM
Can someone with HotDG tell me the population of Greenest?
And if you could be specific concerning # of defending troops in the castle, #s of priests, any wizards, etc.

I ask because we're looking at building the town & it's population in 3d for a minis wargame & I don't feel like buying (or even pirating) a whole book for several pages.

dave2008

Legend
Can someone with HotDG tell me the population of Greenest?
And if you could be specific concerning # of defending troops in the castle, #s of priests, any wizards, etc.

I ask because we're looking at building the town & it's population in 3d for a minis wargame & I don't feel like buying (or even pirating) a whole book for several pages.
I have it, but I have never run it. Do you know where I would have the information you want?

PS I took a quick look through "Greenest in Flames" and didn't see any of this information.

ccs

41st lv DM
Thanks!
It'd be in the opening chapter.
The adventure begins with the 1st lv PCs approaching the town as it's being attacked by the Cult of the Dragon forces (including a small Blue Dragon!)

I don't know how it's organized though. It might have a summarized list, or it might be one of those things where you'll have to count heads per location.

Rellott

Explorer
The map of the village shows it having less than 100 buildings, but many of those may be stables, barns, outhouses, sheds, etc. The map has the town fitting within a 1000’x700’ rectangle (if not a bit smaller).

The keep is stated to have 20 defenders already actively defending the walls, but says that more can arrive on duty as needed.

The chapter is very vague on numbers. There are two governmental NPCs in the keep, the party meets a family of 5 as they enter town, “dozens” of townsfolk are barricaded in the chapel, a mother and 3 kids are offered as part of a hostage exchange, and two of the entries on the random encounters table include 1d6 townsfolk (either hiding or fleeing).

At the end of the chapter in the aftermath, it does say hundreds of injured people are crowded in the keep or hiding in cellars.

Only 5 residents of Greenest are named in the text: the two governmental workers, the mother/wife of the family you meet, a sergeant in the keep, and a priest.

ccs

41st lv DM
Thanks.
Mostly I needed an idea of how many townsfolk minis/tokens I need to make.

The idea for the battle is much the same as in the book. Raiders attack the town sacking it for food/loot/captives. Varying Pts awarded for each such token the raiders get off the board. (I'm thinking food is the lowest, loot is d6, & townsfolk is 5 pts) The objective of the raid is to take captives.
The defenders receive pts for killing raiders & getting loot/villagers to the safety of either the church or the keep.

Remove ads