D&D 5E Hoard of the Dragon Queen - Chapter 1

industrygothica

Adventurer
Ooc: for the record, Renestrae will be staying outside the window for as long as she can still get a decent shot off. No since in giving up a good spot of cover of she doesn't have to.

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
Initiative Order:

Kobolds
Erevan, full HP
Robert, full HP, inspiration
Renestrae, full HP
Miri, full HP, inspiration

The two kobolds taking cover behind a table scuttle away from your immediate line of sight and hide elsewhere in the bar room, but not before one of them takes a hurried parting shot at Renestrae. Reflexively, she ducks her head away from the window frame and the sling bullet passes by harmlessly.

The three other kobolds continue to struggle with their net and the growling sound continues.

RECAP
All player characters are currently outside the inn; a single move action will get you to anywhere within the bar room either through a window or door.
Two kobolds have scattered and are hiding somewhere under the bar furniture. Three more are attempting to ensnare something in a net.
Someone is behind the bar, as yet unseen.

industrygothica

Adventurer
OOC: Wow.. I really thought I had made my turn here, and that we were waiting on something else. I hope everyone is still with us!

Renestrae takes a shot at one of the kobolds working the net, and then returns to her cover.

OOC: Shortbow attack hits AC hits AC 16 for 7 damage (1d20+5=16, 1d6+3=7)

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
One of the kobolds leaps up onto a table and pulls the net tight, oblivious to the presence of your group. Renestrae has an easy shot as it's back is turned, and the kobold goes down with an arrow between the shoulder blades. It tumbles from the table, entangling itself in the net as it falls.

Suddenly there's a loud barking sound and the remaining kobolds yelp and squeal. Several bar stools are knocked over and you can make out an enormous grey mastiff type hound freeing itself from the net. The two remaining kobolds back away in surprise.

Miri takes the opportunity for a shot, but her crossbow bolt embeds itself in the wooden floor of the room and fails to find it's mark.

They draw daggers and warily approach the dog, and one succeeds in drawing blood from the hound, but this only seems to anger it further. It bares its teeth and growls menacingly before lunging at the kobolds, but the little creatures are too fast for it.

"Haha! That's right Kayla, you show them! Ghuk-ramaz!" calls an enthusiastic voice from behind the bar. Seconds later, a Half-Orc in a bloodstained apron emerges from behind the counter with a handaxe at the ready, scanning the bar area to see where the kobolds are hiding.

You catch fleeting glimpses of two kobolds as they make for the door, ducking under tables and stools as they go.

[Erevan: You spot two kobolds rushing out of the main door of the tavern. You can take your readied attack if you want - a move action will get you into melee range if necessary]

mips42

Adventurer
Erevan will step in front of the commoners, fire his bow at the closer of the two kobolds. 'Keep behind me but be prepared to defend yourselves if needed. This could get ugly.'
If there is time and the kobolds don't rush him, he'll keep the bow out, other wise he'll stow the bow and pull his sword.

_: 1D20+4 = [17]+4 = 21

_: 1D8+3 = [8]+3 = 11

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
[OOC: Robert the sorceror has also had to drop out of the game, leaving us with three players. I'll write him and Rolen out of the story at some point, and will put up a recruitment thread to see if we can get the numbers back up to full strength. We're in a new round now.]

INITIATIVE ORDER
Kobolds
Erevan, full HP
Renestrae, full HP
Miri, full HP, inspiration

RECAP
Inside the bar - two kobolds attempting to fight off a large mastiff. A Half-Orc behind the bar shouting enthusiastically. Renestrae and Miri at the window.
Outside the bar - one remaining kobold, fleeing the scene. Erevan remaining with the cart, having picked off one of the kobolds with an arrow.

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
Ttwo kobolds burst out of the front door and rush towards the cart, looking behind them at the tavern, the flames now beginning to reach the lower floors. A second later, one of the kobolds falls to the ground and gurgles, an arrow through it's throat courtesy of Erevan.

The remaining kobold turns around, startled, deciding whether to run or fight. It seems that he has chosen the latter as he darts forward at Erevan, dagger drawn. The beast leaps up onto the cart, slashing wildly, and catches Erevan across one shoulder with the dagger.

[Erevan takes 5 HP damage; my apologies if I have missed it, but I don't know if you rolled a second hit dice for level 2?]

----------

Inside the tavern, the flames from the upper floors are beginning to spread downwards. There's an ominous creaking sound before a large wooden beam, still on fire, crashes down from the ceiling behind the bar, and the Half-Orc barman cries out and disappears from view as it lands on him. You can still hear him cursing and shouting but can't see him.

As the rest of the ceiling begins to creak and start to give way, the two remaining kobolds within the bar area make for the exit, darting between stools and under tables. The mastiff growls and chases them down, and there's a yelping sound as the dog knocks one of them to the floor. The hound snarls and lunges, and you hear a distinct crunching sound as it's powerful jaws close around the kobold's neck.

Remove ads