Hodge Podge Gaming Day?

D'nemy

First Post
Had an idea for something that has a high percentage of being either a disaster or a gloriously fun success and wanted to get some feedback before I commit.

It's a kind of stew of gaming that would involve running four wildly different settings in one long day. (Fantasy, Pulp, Super Hero and Sci-fi) Each one would be structured like "serials" of old. The players would create characters for each of the different games. Each game would run about 2 and half to 3 hours, end with a cliffhanger and then on to the next game.

Somebody stop me before I make a mess of things, or encourage me to go for it.

Share tales if you've done something like this before.

Thanks!!

EricNoah

Adventurer
That's a lot to cram into one day. Doing 2 of them well will be more satisfying than doing 4 of them poorly. (Of course if you can pull it off, doing 4 of them well is better!)

Also, for one-shots, if the players aren't familiar with the game system, create pre-generated characters for them. If they are familiar, have them create characters ahead of time.

Work some breaks into the day. Also maybe have some inspirational artwork or music around to help them get in the right mood for each segment.

shilsen

Adventurer
Maybe you should just run a single Eberron adventure structured into four general segments, the first one being moe traditional Fantasy, moving into a Pulp section, then sliding into Super Hero flavor and wrapping up with Sci-fi elements. Or they could be four different adventures for the same set of PCs.

One of the big advantages is that the players can run the same PCs and won't have to keep switching and changing, plus there will be a sense of internal continuity, which I think is good even for a one-shot.

Remove ads