Hold the Line + Reach Weapon = 2 AOOs per charge?

Stalker0

Legend
What happens if a creature charges me, and I have both a reach weapon and the hold the line feat? Do I get 2 AOOs (one for the movement through my space, one for the charge) or do I simply get the 1, as you normally only get 1 AOO for movement.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Its not really clear.

I read the Hold the Line feat as saying that a PC with that Feat treats entering a threatened area as an AoO-provoking event that is distinct from leaving a threatened area.

Thus, if a being enters an area threatened by a PC with Hold the Line, he provokes an AoO. If he then continues his movement, he provokes an AoO for leaving a threatened area. However, a creature moving through your threatened areas can only provoke 1 AoO for entering and 1 AoO for leaving a threatened area, no matter how many times he does so in that turn.

I say this because the wording of AoOs doesn't mention 1 AoO "per movement"- just 1 AoO for leaving a threatened area no matter how many times it is done that turn. Under the basic, unmodified rules, there is only one type of movement that provokes an AoO (leaving a threatened area)- Hold the Line adds another movement type (entering a threatened area).

Corsair

First Post
I'd say two. Once for the feat, once for the movement. Note that the answer is still two, even if the defender in question was double expansioned psiwar with a spiked chain (30' reach)

irdeggman

First Post
If you don't have Combat Reflexes the question is moot. Since you only get 1 AoO per round anyway without that feat.

Assuming that the character in question does have CR and can make more than 1 AoO per round. . .

Since the feat says:

"Normal: You only get an AoO against a character that exits a square you threaten."

It would appear that the feat modifies this to give you that AoO when the character "enters" the threatened square instead of leaving it. Which basically allows the defender to now interrupt the charge without using a ready action.

Remove ads