• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Holy cow my party is all strikers!! Forked Thread: Holy cow my party has 3 strikers

AllisterH

First Post
Playing with only four characters means less monsters, which will comparitvely hurt the controller.

Depends on the encounter though...There's nothing in the OP that states we can't put the parties up against more powerful encounters where instead of having one singluar Solo monster, we instead use 4 regular over levelled monsters.

Since part of the pro-all-striker argument it that they greatly shorten combat, I'd recommend adding:
7) Number of Rounds to complete each combat.
The length of combat is not relevant for power. But it is something that is very interesting for gameplay, so if it's not used to evaluate the power, it should at least be tracked.

Though... even that might not tell us all that much. The length of each round, the overall play time and the time where "nothing happened except chipping away some hit points" might be more interesting, but even harder to account for.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
All Striker Frontline:
- Hexhammer (Infernal Warlock / Fighter -> Iron Vanguard): more durable than most Defenders.
- TWF Ranger / Cleric -> Warpriest (in heavy armor, with HBO): hits like a Striker, marks like a Defender; durable 1/day with Divine Power. Oh, he heals too.

Midrange:
- Brutal Rogue: normal melee Rogue who can wear Hide armor.
- Draconic Sorcerer: Burning Spray + White Lotus feats = yeah, bugger off. Throw in Acid Orb + Reaper's Touch and you've covered a lot of bases.

Optional:
- Elf Archer (Hybrid Ranger | Cleric): it's not like Archery Rangers actually have any good class features...
- Barbarian: my experience with these guys is that they really like having a full-on Leader in the party. However, a hybrid Str+Cha Barb | Cleric could be excellent, taking Str-powers which heal and key their secondary benefits off of Charisma. Same deal with a hybrid Str+Cha Barb | Warlord.

Cheers, -- N

AllisterH

First Post
All Striker Frontline:
- Hexhammer (Infernal Warlock / Fighter -> Iron Vanguard): more durable than most Defenders.
- TWF Ranger / Cleric -> Warpriest (in heavy armor, with HBO): hits like a Striker, marks like a Defender; durable 1/day with Divine Power. Oh, he heals too.

Midrange:
- Brutal Rogue: normal melee Rogue who can wear Hide armor.
- Draconic Sorcerer: Burning Spray + White Lotus feats = yeah, bugger off. Throw in Acid Orb + Reaper's Touch and you've covered a lot of bases.

Optional:
- Elf Archer (Hybrid Ranger | Cleric): it's not like Archery Rangers actually have any good class features...
- Barbarian: my experience with these guys is that they really like having a full-on Leader in the party. However, a hybrid Str+Cha Barb | Cleric could be excellent, taking Str-powers which heal and key their secondary benefits off of Charisma. Same deal with a hybrid Str+Cha Barb | Warlord.

Cheers, -- N

Hmm? I thought we agreed on only single-class examples...Using multiclass and hybrid characters doesn't show the power of the striker role by itself...or any role for that matter..

keterys

First Post
I'm pretty sure the plan was for all of the strikers to be multiclassed (particularly into healing multiclasses), proving that the striker model with just a tiny bit of the other was more than sufficient?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Hmm? I thought we agreed on only single-class examples...Using multiclass and hybrid characters doesn't show the power of the striker role by itself...or any role for that matter..
Perhaps you missed the first post in this thread. Just so you don't let this important information pass you buy again, I'll repeat it here:
(...) They should MC into some leader powers - anyone that was planning to play as a striker force would do this though (& my actual ranger did too) only 1 or 2 need do a utility swap any others can get by witha free daily heal. (...)
Cheers, -- N

AllisterH

First Post
I'm pretty sure the plan was for all of the strikers to be multiclassed (particularly into healing multiclasses), proving that the striker model with just a tiny bit of the other was more than sufficient?

So would it be fair then that any defender or leader class add in a little bit of striker then?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
So would it be fair then that any defender or leader class add in a little bit of striker then?
Fighters are Defenders who add a bit of Striker.

Leaders can buff a non-Striker up to Striker damage.

Does that answer your question?

Cheers, -- N

Sadrik

First Post
No, their bases are covered, why would they need to take striker powers when they already have a striker in the party. I think the argument goes that strikers do not add that much, so specifically loading up the mixed team with striker powers flies contrary to what this test is trying to do.

Remove ads