Pathfinder 1E Homebrew Class - The Hunter

Lunatec

First Post
Hey, so I am a fairly new at this dungeon mastering thing (I have done quite a few improv, as in no planning at all campaigns, though I have played pretty much weekly for 5 years now) and this will be one of my first real campaigns.
So one of my friends wanted a class where he could use his bones to form weapons, and I thought "Hey, that sounds pretty badass" so I went on my way to start creating this custom class. I am fairly proud of it as of now, however, again being pretty new at this DM thing, I wanted to run it by you guys, to get some advice to fine tune it and such and to ensure that I don't miss anything. And hey if it turns out fine, well here's a new class you guys can use if you so desire. Thanks :)

https://1drv.ms/w/s!AguE8MPBOz6yj2nriwg4CldOwa7P

BlackSeed_Vash

Explorer
First off, I'd like to apologize if my post seems overly negative. Second, I enjoyed reading your class and tried to keep my own ideas on how to build such a class to a minimum.

Ignoring that there is a hybrid class already named Hunter, you may wish to look at the psionics class Soulknife as either a basis for your class or just re-flavor it to fit your needs. The same goes for the Totemist class from the 3.5 book Magic of Incarnum. You may also wish to look at Pathfinder's suggestions for building a new Class, Archetype, or Prestige Class.

Starting off, you need to take a look at your saves. I assume that Fort is a good save, so it starts with a +2. In addition, assuming that Will save is poor, it should be a +0 at level 2. Last but not least, generally when a class has a class feature like Spacial Awareness that class usually has a good Ref save.

In general your class features need more technical descriptions to better evaluate them.
* Spacial Awareness is potential broken, depending on your intent with the wording. What exactly do you mean by the term Surprise Attack? Do you mean attacks only made during the Surprise round? If so, it is decent, but not broken. If it includes attacks outside the Surprise Round, the more types of attacks it covers the more broken it becomes. Evasion is generally a two level dip. Depending upon how min/max your player is, the two could be used to negate a large number of attacks. You may wish to consider instead something like Uncanny Dodge or reducing/removing opponent's flanking bonus.

*For Controlled Blow, what do mean by beast? Animals and Magical Beasts is what comes to mind, but you could include other creature types. Are you saying at level 3 I can study Wolf and Basilisk bones in order to get my Int to damage and +2 (you really should give it a name... I'd go with Circumstance) bonus to AC? You may wish to have the AC bonus added at one of the dead levels. Also, you may wish to limit the number learned similar to the RangersFavored Enemy.

*Camouflage is extremely powerful compared to other classes that have it. For example, the Ranger gets this class feature at 12 level and only has two terrains at that point in which he can use it in. By the time this class hit 12th level, it would have 5 terrains in which to activate this ability. That's almost half the terrains listed.

* You need to specify what type of action Transform Legs requires to activate; I'd suggest a Standard action. In addition, you need to specify how long this ability lasts and how many times per day it can be used.
True Talon - Perfectly fine.
Bladed Legs - Turning an attack into a skill check, especially a high combat skill like acrobatic, is very dangerous. Those inclined can easily get at least a +15 bonus at first level. That greatly outstrips any class/monster attack bonus. These should instead be secondary natural attacks. In other words, during a full attack you gain two additional attacks using your highest attack bonus - 5 and dealing _____ damage.
Sticky Feet - Instead of given a weight limit, I'd just give them a Climb speed equal to his base land speed. He'll still be limited by his carrying capacity.

* I assume that Natural Weapons is Transform Arms. I also assume that the weapons don't have the Bone special material qualities. Do you intend the player to pick one of the three (Armbands, Talons, Spear) or have access to all three? How often per day can the class make one of these weapons? How long does the weapon last held/dropped. Can anyone else use it? What is the bonus trait? How much damage does each weapon do?
Dual Strike - I do like the idea or risk/reward system for this, but it might just be easier to grant the player access to the two-weapon fighting tree instead.
Ambidextrous - The wording states that you can use 4 weapons at once, 2 per arm. I assume this is not as intended and what you wished was, "You may wield a different weapon on each arm." This is already an option, though you are limited to a light/one-handed in the main hand and a light in the off-hand without extra penalties. If my line of thought is correct, the better option would be to reduce the penalties for two-weapon fighting.
Wings - The Fly speed provided by Wings is way too fast. The first real access players have to flying is the same named spell available at 5th level. That allows them to Fly at 60ft (or 40 feet if it wears medium or heavy armor, or if it carries a medium or heavy load), for 1 minute per level.
Expert Leaper - Nothing wrong with the option other than it feels like is should be in the Transform Legs section instead of Transform Arms.
Calm - Going out on a limb as assuming this is suppose to be like the spell calm emotions which is cast-able at 3rd level. If not, than please clarify. Strong, but the once per day helps prevent it from being too power full.
Fear - Nothing is listed. Going to assume this is like the Calm ability and be like the spell Fear which can be cast at 5th level. Very strong, but if like calm ability to broken. If my interpretation is wrong on either, please elaborate on your intent.
Fast Movement - Like Expert Leaper, this is should be in Transform Legs.
Sixth Sense - Don't see where this shows up on your chart. Besides that, this is extremely powerful depending upon when this class feature can be activated. Usually such avoidance abilities give a bonus to AC and/or saves for that entire round or as an Immediate action, negate the damage and effect of 1 single attack.
Tear - Are you giving the player Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat or are you adding Dex modifier in addition to Str modifier on attacks? The first is well in line with other classes; the second is beyond the power scope of any character, especially when the class already has a Full base attack bonus.
Painful Grip This is perfectly fine as is. Though the name implies extra damage to me instead of better grapple checks.
Enhanced Hearing - So your saying it has a 3 round duration? Personally I'd have it gain more uses per day at higher levels.
Paralyzing Poison - Unless the save and/or duration is rather low, paralyzing once an encounter is extremely powerful. I'd be inclined to say brokenly powerful at it's level. Personally I'd give 1 use per 5 levels with a Fort DC of 10 + half "hunter" level + Int modifier (Normally would go with Con, but you have this class using Int for a lot of stuff) to negate and the target is paralyzed for (at the maximum) Int modifier rounds.

NOTES: I see in the Transform Arms you mention gaining power from other creature's bones. Might I suggest stealing Adaption. Since this class doesn't have favored enemy, you might consider using the Controlled Blows in its place. Personally I'd put the progression closer to every 3rd level.

Remove ads