D&D 5E homebrew Cleric Changes discussion

Lanliss

Explorer
Have you considered the spell levels of 6-9? Do they gain a Divine Blessing (Mystic Arcanum) in the same manner as a warlock?

Ah, yes. I forgot to add that to the table, thanks for reminding me. It will be the same as Mystic Arcanum, at least as far as the number of uses and when they get it. It will still be treated as a normal cleric spell slot, as far as Prepared spells go, so they can change it after a rest just like normal.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I had a look at the warlock invocation gift for ideas. Perhaps an gift that allows the cleric to choose one of their 1st level domain spells to use at will as if cast with a 1st level spell slot. Some of the warlock examples were detect magic, speak with animals, and disguise self which suits the arcana, nature, and trickery domains so I think that would be well within their power level.

Spells people might have an issue with are shield of faith, false life, cure wounds and burning hands but otherwise, I think it would be thematically appropriate. If you would prefer them not to be at will then perhaps a limit of 2/short rest cast it without using a spell slot.

The benefit of this gift is that it doesn't have to be specific to a domain, it is a nice generic one able to be taken by any cleric.

Lanliss

Explorer
I had a look at the warlock invocation gift for ideas. Perhaps an gift that allows the cleric to choose one of their 1st level domain spells to use at will as if cast with a 1st level spell slot. Some of the warlock examples were detect magic, speak with animals, and disguise self which suits the arcana, nature, and trickery domains so I think that would be well within their power level.

Spells people might have an issue with are shield of faith, false life, cure wounds and burning hands but otherwise, I think it would be thematically appropriate. If you would prefer them not to be at will then perhaps a limit of 2/short rest cast it without using a spell slot.

The benefit of this gift is that it doesn't have to be specific to a domain, it is a nice generic one able to be taken by any cleric.

I think it would be simpler to have a separate invocation for each acceptable spell, as I did with Barkskin. That way you wouldn't have to list off all the ones that are out of bounds, like the ones you mentioned above. Not to mention, some are equivalent to Warlock spells that are often used, like Darkness/fog cloud, so giving Cleric free casting of it would need to be met with the same on the Warlock. There is also the matter of when they would be able to change the spell, since they wouldn't want to be stuck using the same 1st level spell forever, unless it was a good one. I would probably lean towards changing it on a level, but the current system for Warlock is simpler I think.

That said, I don't see any issue with directly porting the Warlock ones over, since they are already a precedent.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I just had about flurry of blades, you've limited it to the war domain which is what I think I suggested, however, I think that you use a different prerequisite for it to make it more generic. The same ability for the warlock requires pact of the blade, perhaps you could expand this gift to those domains that have martial weapons as a bonus proficiency (I think that is only tempest and war, although I can't recall exactly). If you had it set as something like Prerequisite: 5th level, martial weapon proficiency granted by your divine domain then that would also cover any additional domains.

It definitely fits for war, and I could see it staying a war domain specific gift, however, some of the other domains also seem to be pretty good candidates for it. It's something to consider at least. You might have ideas for Tempest and others that would make extra attack a bad idea.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I've also had some downtime today and decided to start writing this up on the homebrewery: http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/B1WZWvYTAx.

Open it in Chrome, otherwise it will look weird. I'm still working on adding in the gifts you've written up. If you would like to work on your own version, you can click on source and copy/paste the result into your own homebrewery document.

Lanliss

Explorer
I've also had some downtime today and decided to start writing this up on the homebrewery: http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/B1WZWvYTAx.

Open it in Chrome, otherwise it will look weird. I'm still working on adding in the gifts you've written up. If you would like to work on your own version, you can click on source and copy/paste the result into your own homebrewery document.

On Flurry of blades, you make good sense. I will adjust that. As far as Homebrewery, go ahead. I was just going to leave it as a thread on here, but I don't at all mind it looking nicer. I will add that link to the first post. Thanks for the help on this, I am already really happy with how it feels.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
On Flurry of blades, you make good sense. I will adjust that. As far as Homebrewery, go ahead. I was just going to leave it as a thread on here, but I don't at all mind it looking nicer. I will add that link to the first post. Thanks for the help on this, I am already really happy with how it feels.

It's all good, I like this kind of homebrew and it looks like the cleric can fit the warlock chassis quite nicely.

I should have all of the information in it now. I will update it as you add in more Divine Gifts. I've only just started using homebrewery and want to see what creating a class would be like, this is good practice in using it.

Lanliss

Explorer
It's all good, I like this kind of homebrew and it looks like the cleric can fit the warlock chassis quite nicely.

I should have all of the information in it now. I will update it as you add in more Divine Gifts. I've only just started using homebrewery and want to see what creating a class would be like, this is good practice in using it.

I opened it in chrome, but it seems like items are getting pushed to a barely-existent third column on the Gifts page, so the last couple are cut off. Good work though, It makes it feel much more complete to see it all laid out.

Now my only issue with the class is Destroy undead. It bothers me greatly, considering how much of the class space it sucks up, how situational it is. it will matter exactly once per rest at lower level, and then only if you are fighting undead, and then only if you choose to Turn undead instead of one of your other Channel Divinities, and yet it has something like 5 levels that it shows up in, one of which (14th) it is the only ability the Cleric gets. Seems very sloppy to me, and I am thinking on how to change it, and what might possibly replace it. Any ideas are helpful, as I am coming up with nothing.

Also, how do you think pushing the 2nd level Domain feature to 3rd would work out? 3rd seems a bit early for a dead level, and is the level that most other classes actually show their niche, so it doesn't seem to bad to me. I don't think it will be an appreciable drop in power compared to the Base cleric, since this one already gets Gifts at 2nd.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I opened it in chrome, but it seems like items are getting pushed to a barely-existent third column on the Gifts page, so the last couple are cut off. Good work though, It makes it feel much more complete to see it all laid out.

Now my only issue with the class is Destroy undead. It bothers me greatly, considering how much of the class space it sucks up, how situational it is. it will matter exactly once per rest at lower level, and then only if you are fighting undead, and then only if you choose to Turn undead instead of one of your other Channel Divinities, and yet it has something like 5 levels that it shows up in, one of which (14th) it is the only ability the Cleric gets. Seems very sloppy to me, and I am thinking on how to change it, and what might possibly replace it. Any ideas are helpful, as I am coming up with nothing.

Also, how do you think pushing the 2nd level Domain feature to 3rd would work out? 3rd seems a bit early for a dead level, and is the level that most other classes actually show their niche, so it doesn't seem to bad to me. I don't think it will be an appreciable drop in power compared to the Base cleric, since this one already gets Gifts at 2nd.

I was making some changes before that pushed some features over to another column which may have been the cause of it looking messed up, it should hopefully be fixed now (in that it looks okay when I check it, but all too often "Technology!" *Shakes Fist).

I think that destroy undead isn't worth that much since as you say, it is only vs. Undead, it seems almost like a ribbon ability. At 14th level, they also gain the upgraded Divine Strike from their domain although I don't think that the cantrip cleric gains an upgrade so it really does depend on the type of cleric, weapon based or caster based, on how little they gain at 14th level.

You could possibly give them a 5th cantrip at level 14, it's a little something extra.

I checked it on the original cleric, 3rd level was a dead level there as well, I think mainly because they gained access to a new spell level. Comparing the two, warlocks only gain their invocations at 2nd level so you might want to consider giving the cleric their divine domain feature at level 2 and their divine gifts starting at level 3 or the reverse. You probably want to give the cleric the domain ability at the same time as channel divinity since it is when they gain their domain's channel divinity feature.

Remove ads