• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Homebrew D&D) Breaking New Ground

Arknath

First Post
The going is slow through the forests of this new land. The trees become thinner as you travel eastwards and they are numerous, sometimes growing in large clutches. The canopy provides a large amount of shade for your travels, keeping the heat of the midday sun off your backs and onto the green leaves of these enormous plants where it belongs.

Many animals can be seen along the way and most of them are familiar to you all. You have either seen them in the forests near the castle or the capitol city back home, or have read about them and seen pictures of them in the books your schoolmasters had you read. Talk of home is on everyone's lips as you all keep sharp eyes on the forest about you.

After travelling for several (3) days, Zyrial and Zykovian approach a large river that moves swiftly, travelling in a southwesterly direction. The water is almost ice cold as there is no sun to warm it and it is nigh crystal blue in color. The two elves can see the bottom of the stream in most places and even see small river creatures such as fish swimming with the current.

The banks of the river are steep and mossy. Any who try to go down it finds the going very treacherous*. The trees, if in large clumps before, are nearly an impenetrable wall due to the constant water source at their roots. Most spaces will fit an elf between trees, but there is little to hang on to and the bank appears to be 8-10 feet to the swiftly flowing river's edge.

The grass around the river reaches the middle of an elf's shin and contains many wild flowers and broad-leafed plants. Squirrels and small rodents scurry up the trees as you approach the river to watch you curiously. At the shortest part, the river seems to be about 12-15 feet across and the depth of the water will have to be determined** by someone in the party, as it is unclear just how far the riverbed is from the top of the rushing water.

*= Balance or Dex check DC 10 (Both) to avoid falling
**= Swim or Str check DC 12 (Both) to avoid being pulled in by the swift current

Last edited:

Manzanita

First Post
Ulysses

[OOC: Looking for what scouts? We are the scouts.]

"It seems unlikely we would want our army forging the river here as it stands. Shall we look up and down river a spell to find a better crossing? Otherwise, perhaps we could devise a bridge of some sort."

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Zykovian will enhance his dexterity and strength via animal affinity and head down the slope to the river. First Zykovian determines the river's speed, then he will test the water (temperature, clarity, smell).

"I'd be happy to scout along the river for a possible crossing area. Swimming is not my area of expertise," Zykovian commented. He continued to describe the attributes of the water and river to the others to make them aware of what was there.

Argent Silvermage

First Post
Zyrial looks at the water and says "Unfortunatly I'm not a swimmer either. Perhaps we will need to go around after all." He than remembers his rope. "I'll tie this rope to myself and try to swim across. pull me back if I run afoul of the current." That said Zyrial launches himself into the air and floats to the water below.

Vadicus

First Post
[ooc: read up above... zyrial and zykovian moved ahead of us to scout for the scouts ;)]

Zyrial heaves himself into the water before Eldavyan can stop him.

"Wait!" he shouts from his stead. He curses and grabs hold of the rope that someone else is likely holding onto as well, and uses Shyl's strength to anchor the elf in the water.

"Perhaps we should wait for the platoon to arrive. I should think that they were forward-thinking enough to bring along portable bridges. If not, then I am ahast at their lack of preparation and we'll likely need to scout the bank for an easier way to cross," he offers. "There is not yet a need to risk life, and if you encountered danger on the other side of the river all we could do is aide you with spells and arrows."

Shyl digs her forelimbs into the earth, holding Zyrial steady in the river's current, her chain barding rattling loudly in response.

Keia

I aim to misbehave
"I agree, Eldavyan, however, perhaps a short scouting both upriver and downriver might yield a better solution than deploying the bridges - considering the potential vunerability the platoon would have while crossing," Zykovian offered.

Vadicus

First Post
Eldavyan nods. "A platoon crossing a river, whether on bridges or on a natural footpath, is at risk and becomes vulnerable. Zykovian, perhaps you should accompany Zyrial in his scouting, and Ulysses also. You all search upstream, on the opposite side of the river, and we three shall search downstream and meet back here in three quarters of an hour. When we return the platoon should arrive within the final quarter hour. Agreed?"

Eldavyan looks among his companions for dissenting opinions or other options.

Remove ads