D&D 5E Homebrewed Warlord take 2

Undrave

Legend
An ally attacking the same enemy you attacked kind of creates a positional limit. A bravura warlord making himself vulnerable to do it is perhaps putting advantage limit on it. Just more food for thought

Tha works if you are making an attack, but Doctorbadwolf also mentions the Warlord should be able to put insight dice when using a Shout in the first five levels.

Maybe I could make it so you place 1 Insight Dice when using a shout so that until you get to level 5 it's more or less equivalent, but starting at when you get Extra Attack you get more efficient?

Feels a bit clunky though...

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
That works if you are making an attack, but Doctorbadwolf also mentions the Warlord should be able to put insight dice when using a Shout in the first five levels.
I agree range is a needed option but not necessarily the only perhaps a difference in cost for the range if you arent doing the bravura?

A rogue in 4e ended up having a bunch of alternative ways of gaining their sneak attack.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Tha works if you are making an attack, but Doctorbadwolf also mentions the Warlord should be able to put insight dice when using a Shout in the first five levels.

Maybe I could make it so you place 1 Insight Dice when using a shout so that until you get to level 5 it's more or less equivalent, but starting at when you get Extra Attack you get more efficient?

Feels a bit clunky though...
Yeah, it does. Hmm..

my objective was mostly based on two things, in case it helps.
1, extra attack shouldn’t, IMO, change the basic way that the class operates.

2, primary class features should work together, if at all possible.

Undrave

Legend
Yeah, it does. Hmm..

my objective was mostly based on two things, in case it helps.
1, extra attack shouldn’t, IMO, change the basic way that the class operates.

2, primary class features should work together, if at all possible.

Hmm... How about I just cut the Insight Dice cost for the level 2 signals and just make them bonus actions? Basically, removing all but the 0 dice cost ones, and just have the signals with dice cost come online later?

doctorbadwolf

Hmm... How about I just cut the Insight Dice cost for the level 2 signals and just make them bonus actions? Basically, removing all but the 0 dice cost ones, and just have the signals with dice cost come online later?
Could do, but doesn’t that gut the whole dynamic of the class where they spend the dice piecemeal?

I’d rather see you just make the class you want to play than make it a whole different thing.

Undrave

Legend
Could do, but doesn’t that gut the whole dynamic of the class where they spend the dice piecemeal?

I’d rather see you just make the class you want to play than make it a whole different thing.

Alright then, how about the level 2 signals are all '0 or more' instead then? So your signal's power is boosted by you engaging the enemy yourself, but you can still make use of it when you use your other class features.

Hmm...

But then there's still the problem that you can't use Insight Dice and Shouts together...I guess the real crux of it is how to apply Insight Dice... How about you can apply Insight Dice when you shout, but only to a creature within 5 feet of you or the target of your shout??

doctorbadwolf

Alright then, how about the level 2 signals are all '0 or more' instead then? So your signal's power is boosted by you engaging the enemy yourself, but you can still make use of it when you use your other class features.

Hmm...

But then there's still the problem that you can't use Insight Dice and Shouts together...I guess the real crux of it is how to apply Insight Dice... How about you can apply Insight Dice when you shout, but only to a creature within 5 feet of you or the target of your shout??
I think that should work out really well, yeah.

Needs playtest to be sure, but that feels pretty good to me.

Remove ads