D&D 2E Hordes of Dragonspear Castle adventure

pukunui

Legend
Hey all,

I'm looking for opinions on the AD&D 2e adventure, Hordes of Dragonspear Castle. Is it any good?

Dragonspearcover.jpg

The reason I ask is because I've had this idea for a multigenerational campaign on the backburner ever since the D&D Next playtest period. Basically, my idea would be to run a group of PCs through Hordes, then run a different group of PCs (ideally the first group's children/grandchildren) through Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle, then run a third group of PCs through Scourge of the Sword Coast and Dead in Thay.

There are a number of neat story links and callbacks mixed in to the three, so I feel like it has potential to be a grand campaign spanning more than a century, centered around a few specific locations and involving a few recurring NPCs and the like.

While I have run (parts of) Ghosts and Scourge before, I am not familiar with the one that they call back to. Does anyone have any familiarity with the Hordes adventure? Is it worth getting?

Thanks in advance!

Mark Hope

Adventurer
No. It's not really an actual adventure. There are a couple encounters/combats, a couple roleplaying interaction, a maze, a brief overview of the town, but that's about it. The main thrust of the adventure is to handle mass battles around the castle, with Battlesystem stats provided. The 2e version of Battlesystem is pretty good, imho, but it makes for a rather lacklustre product. I wouldn't bother.

pukunui

Legend
No. It's not really an actual adventure. There are a couple encounters/combats, a couple roleplaying interaction, a maze, a brief overview of the town, but that's about it. The main thrust of the adventure is to handle mass battles around the castle, with Battlesystem stats provided. The 2e version of Battlesystem is pretty good, imho, but it makes for a rather lacklustre product. I wouldn't bother.
Huh. OK. That's a shame! Thanks for letting me know, though.

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
You would be better off using this. Under Illefarn Anew updates the original 1e adventure to 3.5e, and adds a ton of new information regarding the history and region surrounding the town of Daggerford. Plus, its free.

And its annotated. There's a ton of notes from the author who has worked on many FR products, and references material and facts from seemingly every known FR source known (and unknown)!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases