• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hordes of the Underdark

LightPhoenix

First Post
KenM said:
I need help, i'm in Chapter 2 and the Mithril Golems keep kicking my butt.
The easiest way to beat them, IMO, is to use the item you can make that will damage constructs. It'll work on the Mithril Golems as well. I was able to destroy both of them using up all my charges.

I also can't unlock/ open a door in that same area that you should be able to get into. My Rogue henchmen does not try pick the lock, and I can't bash it. I posted on the offical boards but not having any help.
If your henchman isn't picking the lock, it means that he/she can't do it - no possibility of success.

The only ways to open that door I know of are to be a high-level Rogue or a Druid (talk to one of the rats).

KenM

Banned
Banned
Where/ how do I make items? I found the guy in the drow city that can enchent stuff for you. I'm running a fighter, with the female drow henchmen and the tiefling henchmen. Looks like I'm SOL getting through the door. :(

LightPhoenix

First Post
KenM said:
Where/ how do I make items? I found the guy in the drow city that can enchent stuff for you. I'm running a fighter, with the female drow henchmen and the tiefling henchmen. Looks like I'm SOL getting through the door. :(
Just to clarify, which door?
There's one right in the beginning of the Maker's dungeon, which you can't open from the one side. There's one on the second floor, in the big middle room. You need to be a high-level Rogue or a Druid to open that door.

As for the item I mentioned,
you can only make it in the dungeon. There's a book that describes how to combine components. This book and the components are all found on the first floor. Combine two Blue Powder and a Mithril thingee (I forget what it's called) in one of the Alchemist's Apparati to get the Golem Crasher. Then just use it on the mithril golems.

LightPhoenix

First Post
KenM said:
The door to the right when you go into the makers Dungeon
Ah, that door you can't open from that side. You have to open it from the other - it's basically a quick escape from the bottom of the dungeon.

KenM

Banned
Banned
I finally made it past the golems thanks to your help, but.
the demi lich is kicking my ass. I'm getting really frustrated, two almost impossble fights in a row.

LightPhoenix

First Post
KenM said:
I finally made it past the golems thanks to your help, but.
the demi lich is kicking my ass. I'm getting really frustrated, two almost impossble fights in a row.
Here I can't help you. I had to come back later and do it.
I just couldn't get past the damage reduction at all. What I did was trigger the attack, run off and use an Invisibility Potion on myself, looted the room (with a Wand of Fire to open annoying chests), and then left. After I had gained a couple of levels both me and Valen were able to get through his defenses. If you can spare one, a Mordenkainen's Disjunction might be useful too, but I haven't tried it (that'll be my next playthrough, I decided on a Wizard/PM).

Iron_Chef

First Post
THIS IS A LATE NIGHT/LOW CAFFEINE RANT!
Please forgive the simplistic, redundant antagonism of my tone and grammar. I just had to take a break from playing the game and get this off my chest. ;)

Is it just me, or does anyone else think the storyline for HotUD is completely uninspired, and the adventure design both boring and frustrating? If I wanted to solve stupid puzzles, I'd play Myst or 7th Guest. I hate puzzles! Like in Resident Evil, I just want to kill zombies, not monkey around with pulling levers and pushing buttons in puzzles so ridiculously hard you need a strategy guide to figure them out.

I kind of enjoyed the original NWN (the story got pretty crappy toward the end with Aribeth inexplicably turning evil). I passed on the Shadows expansion pack cuz everyone at the game shop and at Amazon said it was crap and too easy. I get Hordes, hearing how much better it's supposed to be, and then am super-pissed to find out they won't let me play certain prestige classes (assassin, blackguard, shadowdancer, etc.) because I didn't buy their crummy Shadows or NWN Gold. That stinks! They got enough of my money already on the original NWN and now with Hordes, that's $80+. It's a cheap rip-off to get you to buy the game all over again (NWN Gold) so they can milk you for another $30.

Then in Hordes, I can't just easily create the character I want from scratch, I have to use their awful prebuilt characters, and what is up with that point buy nonsense? I want to reroll my stats like in BG or ToEE until I have practically all 18s, not play some 28 point buy weeny, LOL.

And the rules are so badly translated, it's not like playing D&D at all. Maybe I'm spoiled after ToEE's near-exactitude to the real PnP rules, but I find it endlessly frustrating that things aren't the way they are in the rules I have memorized and at my fingertips in the core books! Granted, it's been a year since I played NWN, and I completely forgot about its shoddy rules interpretation. Some of its interpretations are logical improvements over the core rules (Toughness granting 1 extra hit point/level, retroactively, for example), but mostly, it's just weird and confusing and makes it harder to know the consequences of making certain character choices intuitively.

I tried playing Hordes for hours and hours today and found myself getting repeatedly killed by stupid goblins casting ice storm and fireball over and over, going back and forth through all the same looking rooms and corridors unable to solve puzzles or open/bash chests/doors. It wasn't all that much fun. I'm totally stuck now in the gargoyles shooting laser beams/skeleton bomb room. I can't believe how irritating this game is.

Last edited:

LightPhoenix

First Post
Iron_Chef said:
THIS IS A LATE NIGHT/LOW CAFFEINE RANT!
Is it just me, or does anyone else think the storyline for HotUD is completely uninspired, and the adventure design both boring and frustrating? If I wanted to solve stupid puzzles, I'd play Myst or 7th Guest. I hate puzzles! Like in Resident Evil, I just want to kill zombies, not monkey around with pulling levers and pushing buttons in puzzles so ridiculously hard you need a strategy guide to figure them out.

I kind of enjoyed the original NWN (the story got pretty crappy toward the end with Aribeth inexplicably turning evil). I passed on the Shadows expansion pack cuz everyone at the game shop and at Amazon said it was crap and too easy.
Ah see, we're completely the opposite. I loathed the original's tepid storyline and fetch quests, I think SoU is the best of the three, and really enjoyed HotU's puzzles. To each their own.

I get Hordes, hearing how much better it's supposed to be, and then am super-pissed to find out they won't let me play certain prestige classes (assassin, blackguard, shadowdancer, etc.) because I didn't buy their crummy Shadows or NWN Gold. That stinks! They got enough of my money already on the original NWN and now with Hordes, that's $80+. It's a cheap rip-off to get you to buy the game all over again (NWN Gold) so they can milk you for another $30.
Well, those were released in SoU. They don't make stuff for free, you know. And you could just buy SoU and install that, you don't have to buy NWN Gold. That's just a convenience thing for people who have never played the game, and want to get the game and the expansion.

Then in Hordes, I can't just easily create the character I want from scratch, I have to use their awful prebuilt characters, and what is up with that point buy nonsense? I want to reroll my stats like in BG or ToEE until I have practically all 18s, not play some 28 point buy weeny, LOL.
Er... you don't have to use their prebuilt characters.

And the rules are so badly translated, it's not like playing D&D at all. Maybe I'm spoiled after ToEE's near-exactitude to the real PnP rules, but I find it endlessly frustrating that things aren't the way they are in the rules I have memorized and at my fingertips in the core books! Granted, it's been a year since I played NWN, and I completely forgot about its shoddy rules interpretation. Some of its interpretations are logical improvements over the core rules (Toughness granting 1 extra hit point/level, retroactively, for example), but mostly, it's just weird and confusing and makes it harder to know the consequences of making certain character choices intuitively.
Well, the reason for it's "shoddy" interpretation of the rules is because it's not a tactical game, like the PnP version at it's heart is. In fact, I'm a little confused how you could think anything real-time would be like playing PnP at all.

I tried playing Hordes for hours and hours today and found myself getting repeatedly killed by stupid goblins casting ice storm and fireball over and over, going back and forth through all the same looking rooms and corridors unable to solve puzzles or open/bash chests/doors. It wasn't all that much fun. I'm totally stuck now in the gargoyles shooting laser beams/skeleton bomb room. I can't believe how irritating this game is.
Well, don't play it then. I mean, you didn't like NWN (as implied in the not liking the shoddy rules), why did you think HotU would be any different?

Iron_Chef

First Post
It's not really a real time game IMO if you can pause it and make it more turn based, which I frequently do, as poking through radial menus with lots of options is not conducive to real time fighting unless you don't cast spells.

I did like NWN, up to a point, though I disliked it not being a proper interpretation of the core rules and disliked the character development of Aribeth, which contributed heavily to a rather lame ending (like those uber-lizard men coming out of left field as the main villains). I'd forgotten just how different NWN was from the PnP rules over the past year and especially after playing through ToEE with its much more exacting PnP rules (not that that game isn't without its faults).

Anybody have the solution to the Undermountain triple gargoyle statue/skeleton bomb room? Every time I try moving the statues, they move back and drop a skeleton bomb on me. Pushing levers puts force fields around the statues. I have no idea what to do. Also, I can't find all the colored chains to open the magically sealed door on the 2nd level.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads