• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hosting Compiled Story Hours

(contact)

Explorer
Lars said:
Listen, I don't want to fight about this. In fact, in general, I am tired of fighting.

You need a better conditioning regimen, my friend. ;) Fly me out to Germany, and I'll train you for six weeks, and we'll get you in fighting shape!

-----

I really think as writers and artists of any sort, we should not define what we do by how it is received (or ignored). That is not only an ego trap, but a good way to get your feelings hurt, and your motivation discouraged.

Paul Newman, for example, has never even seen Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. He doesn't watch his movies, or read his reviews. Why? Because the final product is peripheral to him. It doesn't matter to his craft what anyone thinks about his work. The important part is the act of creation, and it's in that moment that the artist's focus and attitude determine the success of the work. Having the voices of reviewers (positive or negative) in your head can undermine that process and weaken what you are doing.

(The above is not an argument against reviews, just an argument against their value to the creator of the reviewed material.)

Personally, I write my story logs because I have fun doing it, and because I realize how great it is that these campaigns are going to be preserved for the future.

Sharing them with other gamers is an added bonus, but not the point.

I can understand wanting to be protective of the feelings of others, and I sympathize with that-- but at the same time I want to point out that if you are feeling neglected or unappreciated because no one comments or your views are low, you are probably mis-motivated, and may want to look more closely at why you do what you do.

Just my 2 cents. I'm a painter and pixel-pusher IRL, so I think about these things quite a bit.

:)

-----

My story hours are logs of in-game happenings, as accurate as I can make them, which is probably 80% or so. My players assure me that I capture the spirit of the scenes, if not their form.

I think one of the fun aspects of playing D&D is playing with and within the D&D conventions, and I want my logs to reflect that, so in my logs you will generally see things like spell names, and things like hit points mentioned from time to time.

Lars Frehse

First Post
Contact, now that is an offer! I will be ready whenever you can make it!

My storyhour is based closely on my campaign, and one chapter represents one session. Unfortunately, I have to shorten it quite a bit in order to keep track- if I would write down everything that occurs during a session, it would probably be three times as big, and since I am rather lazy, it is usually a short transcript of the events. The way it is now, I write about ten pages per session. (Which sometimes takes quite some time: After all, English is not my mothertongue.).

Also, I am adding things in the story hour from time to time, like that extra grunt during a combat or other atmospheric elements which are sometimes rather mundane during the actual campaign. (I can not simply write: And than, the Paladin hit the Orc for eight points of damage... :))

Sometimes I forget things while writing a storyhour, too, like the one time when the druid tried to act against Chardun's will during the Serpent Amphora. It is a rather important moment, and it tells a lot about Ben, but at the time, I forgot to mention it. But I think I will make a revised version of my story hour, in which I will add the things I forgot back when I wrote it for the first time.

All in all, I estimate that my storyhour is a 75% accurate account of what goes on in my campaign.

Ruined

Explorer
This might be a good place instead of starting a new thread. I'm wanting to start reading Sepulchrave's story hour, but I'd like to start at the beginning. I see the Rape of Morne, and both parts of the Heretic of Wyre, but there's apparently a part before that. Does anyone know where I can hunt this down? I also see Lady Despina's Virtue, but I believe that's a seperate game, correct?

Unfortunately, it's not archived here. I have sent the author an email, but no response after a while. He must have a life *gasp, the horror*. Heh heh.

Ruined

Explorer
Thanks, Horacio. Yeah, I just saw someone inserted the links in the current thread. Look before you post, I suppose. *grin*

Ruined

Explorer
I'm running solo introductory sessions for four players. One down, one tonight. I've written up half of the first session for our Cleric, and the rest will come soon. Once I have some material stored, I'll start posting, so I can try to adhere to a regular schedule. It's looking very promising, though.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
New system for posting archived Story Hours!

Ooops - this should have been in a new thread!

Last edited:

Remove ads