D&D 5E (House Rule) Stalker0's Alternate Monk Class

Stalker0

Legend
So I like a lot of the changes suggested and will likely consider implementing them in some form as options in my games. My only comments are the following:

1) I don't like the change to Unarmored defense for two reasons. First, it completely eliminates the possibility of a high wisdom with average or even low dex build monk, which should be a viable option. "The wise but older sensei who isn't as quick as he used to be" type character that is a time old monk archetype.

Second it REALLY becomes tempting to take a level of monk for a free scaling AC boost for any light armor character alongside martial arts. I could easily see that being too tempting an dip class for rogues, bards, and dex fighters to warrant. Might not matter at your table but our group despises multiclass dips without actual solid roleplaying reasons.

I'd suggest changing unarmored defense to "You AC is now equal to 12 + your dexterity modifier + 1/3 your monk level (rounded down). Alternatively you can use your wisdom modifier in place of your dexterity modifier."

Perhaps a bit wordy by eliminates said issues.

2) Additionally, your changes don't really also address one of my biggest gripes with the monk, at least not directly: that they are now a dex class when a) grapple uses strength and b) there are quite a few different strength based martial arts but a strength monk is basically just not viable in 5e.

Making them less reliant on wisdom for AC foes admittedly help with this, but that still doesnt address the DCs for everything being wisdom based (they should allow strength, dex, or wisdom sort of like how the battle master fighter gets to pick dex or str), and honestly I think while we're at it the monk should get under martial arts the ability to use dex for athletics grapple checks.

Thank you for the feedback! I very much agree with you, that is why in my later ideas (including the stance monk which I believe you also commented on), I used 11 + Dex (or Wis). This way you could play a Strength + Wisdom monk and still have good AC, and then if you want to take athletics and be a tripper or grappler you can. It doesn't address the scaling issues you mentioned, I'll have to think about that more.

Remove ads